Food Plots Food Plot on Cattle Farm

CPerk

I have permission to hunt about a 30 acre cattle farm that is absolutely loaded with deer. I have no problem seeing deer, just looking to focus more deer into certain spots to get them on camera. Believe I will frost seed clover on a couple 1/4 acre spots and let both the cows and deer at it. Then in the fall, broadcast loads of wheat and rye into what is remaining of the clover before a rain. Anyone have success planting plots available to cattle as well? Any advice appreciated

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Cattle will mow that sweet clover and wheat. unless there is a way you can exclude them they will eat the majority. If you cant exclude the cattle plant the clover thick and often. Maybe a little more area. With a little luck they will leave a little for the deer. On our place the deer avoid cattle, even in clover rich pasture. When we sell the calves in fall it takes the deer weeks to acclimate to the field.

bigjohn

2-Step Enabled
I know on my farm the deer usually avoid where our cows are. Usually the farmer will keep Ochoa cows in a specific place for the winter to feed hay. I would see if this is this case on this farm and sow the seed wherever they will not be next winter.

backyardtndeer

Deer move through our pasture on occasion and often close to our cows. They may avoid them to some extent, but don't seem to be too concerned with the cows or even the horses presence.

With that being said, have to agree on the plots. The cows won't leave anything for the deer. Best option I would see would be to fence out a section for your plot with electric fence. Deer will jump it, cows won't.

Latest posts