Followed me home from Walmart

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
This followed me home from Walmart Saturday. Hatfield 12 gauge, 3 inch chamber, walnut stock, 28 inch barrel. Came with 3 chokes, and if I want a better quality one, it takes Beretta Mobil/Benelli thread pattern. I haven't seen a bad review on them online so far. It is a Turkish manufactured gun, but those folks been making them for 200+ years, and most other name brands are licensing manufacturing from them now anyhow. 247.06 after taxes and background check. Anyone looking for a cheap semi-auto to use as a cripple gun, one for a someone that don't want to spend a ton, or just to have a spare in the blind, this may fit your bill, if your local store has them.

Attachments

• 20210612_185925.jpg
    20210612_185925.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 613

double browtine

I intend to load it with BBs or 2&3s for ducks/geese. Will have 1 gun with one load, and a second with the other. Pick up whichever gun matches the fowl flying in.
I saw those a few weeks ago when I was at Walmart. Can you give us a review after you shoot it? Shoot some 3" magnums through it and let us know how the recoil is. I was thinking about grabbing one up for my oldest son for his birthday. It would be something he could use and abuse and I won't have to worry about him scratching it up.

sun

I saw those a few weeks ago when I was at Walmart. Can you give us a review after you shoot it? Shoot some 3" magnums through it and let us know how the recoil is. I was thinking about grabbing one up for my oldest son for his birthday. It would be something he could use and abuse and I won't have to worry about him scratching it up.
I watched a few youtube video reviews showing how it cycles.
One reviewer fired 3 different ammos without any problem.
Another had 1 hiccup, his first hiccup in 400 shots he said when the shell didn't feed properly.
The last video tested many ammos, the 1200 FPS and lower velocity ammos had hiccups due to not fully ejecting past the port.
It also showed the stock becoming very loose after test firing 7+ ammos, not a big deal.

I once had a Turkish Verona SX405 semi 12 ga. shotgun that functioned flawlessly with the cheap trap loads from Walmart.
The issues with any shotgun are how well it patterns and how well the point of impact lines up with your eye,
The Verona I had patterned okay but could have been better.
But for me the receiver height, rib and sight didn't line up with the point of impact as well as it could have at longer distances.
When I switched to using a trap gun I could hit the clays a lot better.
My point is that there's more to a gun than simply how well it functions with the ammo that you want to use in it.
That's usually not a problem even though it can be.
But how well that you can hit targets with it is just as important which the reviews don't always cover.
Hitting at 20 yards may not be a problem but 30 or 40 yards may need a different choke tube or necessitate using Kentucky windage if things don't line up as well as they could.
Here's the video that did the multiple ammo testing.

Below are the youtube search results for- Hatfield SAS 12 gauge review

Last edited:

sun

I forgot to mention that in the very 1st video in the search results, the guy fired 1.75 oz. turkey loads with his new Hatfield and said that it absorbed the recoil really well.
The guy doesn't even begin shooting until after the first 4 minutes of the video.

Last edited:

shane37110

Those guns are hit and miss. In my circle of friends are four people who bought those. Three of them had the barrel ring separate from the barrel where it was attached with under 200 rounds fired. They waited almost a year for Hatfield to send them a new gun and this was before the panic. There's also lots problems with the forearms splitting. And the flimsy wire retaining ring for the gas piston is the problem fails to hold the assembly in place. On one of my buddies replacement gun the trigger stop that stops travel of the trigger once the gun is fired wasn't even machined and fitted so that the gun will fire. The fourth guy hasn't said anything and his gun has one dove season on it. We'll see how it goes. But I'm not impressed with them.
There are several well made guns from Turkey, the Hatfielt is not one of them in my book. But like everything else, you get what you pay for. Better go buy a second one while they're still around so you can find parts in ten years. The Stoeger line of guns are Turk built but they are part of the Beretta/Benelli group and Beretta/Benelli has their guys in the factories assuring things are built to spec. Stoeger also is covered by the B/B groups warranty and parts support.
CZ is likewise with very good oversight of their facility in Turkey. The company that makes the Hatfield contracts with several importers to build different models to each buyers specs. If we pooled together to buy enough units we could get that gun stamped TNDeer 2021 if we wanted.
Heck who would have ever thought you'd have trouble finding Remington parts.

Last edited:

utvolsfan77

This followed me home from Walmart Saturday. Hatfield 12 gauge, 3 inch chamber, walnut stock, 28 inch barrel. Came with 3 chokes, and if I want a better quality one, it takes Beretta Mobil/Benelli thread pattern. I haven't seen a bad review on them online so far. It is a Turkish manufactured gun, but those folks been making them for 200+ years, and most other name brands are licensing manufacturing from them now anyhow. 247.06 after taxes and background check. Anyone looking for a cheap semi-auto to use as a cripple gun, one for a someone that don't want to spend a ton, or just to have a spare in the blind, this may fit your bill, if your local store has them.
I picked up one of these in 20 gauge about three years ago at my Walmart for $199. The only problem I had was that I had to shoot two boxes of "high brass" shells through it, during a break-in period, before it would consistently cycle light target or dove/quail loads. I've head the 12 gauge versions have the same problem. Keep your eyes out for a couple of boxes of "high brass" or make friends with someone that reloads shotshells. You'll be glad you did! Those lightweight shotguns are great once you break them in.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Finally got around to shooting it this weekend. The good news is it shoots where you point it. The bad is it won't cycle most loads I ran through it, and jams a lot. Like every other round. Looks like about 25% of the part of the chamber where the rim sits is not milled all the way smooth. It causes the rim to stick in place and the only way to eject the spent shell is to pull back on the bolt handle at the same time you bump the butt of the gun on something solid. It isn't as bad with steel 3 inch 1s and BBs, but Federal, Winchester, and Remington 2 3/4 inch 7, 8, 7,5 in steel or lead are practically unusable unless you want a single shot. Recoil is OK on the 2 3/4 shells, but is a bit stiff on the 3 inch ones.

I've sent in through their Customer Service portal to see how they want to proceed. Hoping I can get it back from them and have it working before September.

Chiflyguy

I looked today at our local WM. They have a 12g in stock, but they have a 28g supposed to be there sometime this week. I will definitely check it out.
What's ammo availability for a 28 gauge?
I don't own one, just curious.
I do have two side by sides, Stevens 311 in .410 and 16 gauge.

mike243

I feel deprived by never shooting a 28g ever, I feel blessed to never want to shoot a 10g and cursed by shooting a 3,5" 12g lol

Mtncur76

Finally got around to shooting it this weekend. The good news is it shoots where you point it. The bad is it won't cycle most loads I ran through it, and jams a lot. Like every other round. Looks like about 25% of the part of the chamber where the rim sits is not milled all the way smooth. It causes the rim to stick in place and the only way to eject the spent shell is to pull back on the bolt handle at the same time you bump the butt of the gun on something solid. It isn't as bad with steel 3 inch 1s and BBs, but Federal, Winchester, and Remington 2 3/4 inch 7, 8, 7,5 in steel or lead are practically unusable unless you want a single shot. Recoil is OK on the 2 3/4 shells, but is a bit stiff on the 3 inch ones.

I've sent in through their Customer Service portal to see how they want to proceed. Hoping I can get it back from them and have it working before September.
Had the same problem with one my boy bought and the pin to hold the trigger assembly in would just fall out send it back to the company the day after he bought it took about 4 months to get it back but shoots all shells ran in it now

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
I shipped it back to them today. Took 2 days to get the first email back from their CS rep, and then I had to get it packaged for shipment. Sent it to them via USPS priority mail. Hope it don't get hung up in Memphis or Chicago since it has to go to Illinois. Trigger assembly pin on mine is fine, or at least never has come out except the one time I took it out. We'll see what they manage to do with it.