Flintlocks Tulle vs Trade Gun

trex

Tulle "Fusil de Chasse" vs Northwest "Trade Gun" flintlocks,20 gauge smoothbores
Does one handle better than the other? The Tulle looks like it has a more rounded check area,
the Trade Gun is flat.

Tulle = drop at heel 3 1/2"
Trade gun = drop at heel 2 5/8"

Plan to use shot 90% of the time, squirrel, maybe turkey and such.
Some round ball for deer and steel plates.

Thanks

Smo

Sorry, but I've never handled either one....

But I've read both handle shot and ball loads well, you just got to find the right combination.

Good Luck , let us know what you buy..!

Wobblyshot1

I had a 20 gauge NW trade gun once. It was rather straight stocked and I found it a little difficult to get down on it when trying to aim while shooting patched balls.

trex

That's what I was thinking. I think I will go with the Fusil in 28 or 24 gauge with 36" barrel
but I like the sound of the 24 gauge, it would be just a little lighter to carry but not much.
I could lob that ball threw a deer without too much kick when I get close enough.
Round ball for the 28 is around 231 grains and the 24 is abought 279 gr. give or take the size of ball.

Hard to find a stock that is mostly inlet for my first build that's not to $$. I have a place to call Monday
to check on one. I might have to do most of the inlay myself though.

Wobblyshot1

Have you ever considered a short smooth rifle(actually a smoothbore with rifle sights). I have a short rifle in .58 caliber with a 31" barrel. It only weighs 6 1/2 pounds and handles really well. I've taken 4 deer with it with 4 shots....80 grs 2ffg and a .570 ball.
A similar gun in a smoothbore seems like it would be right up your alley.

trex

I am looking into a smooth rifle, looking at everything right now.
I see that fully round barrels are period correct, might go that route.
Lots to take in when you first start looking at these old guns, you go from
I just want a flintlock shot gun to I think I'll go period correct to oh my witch
period and what is correct to it cost how much, still fun though.

trex

Well I ordered me a flintlock kit in .50x36" round tapered barrel, fowler w/ L&R Queen Anne lock
CM-1 curly maple stock, inlet for barrel and lock.
It might take me awhile to finish it out with arthr not helping but I will get done.
The .50 cal. smoothy will be plenty good for small game (90% squirrel) and deer in side 50 yards.

Latest posts