Flintlock

Rancocas

Beware - this is just my opinion. Other may have different thoughts.

Some of those made by Pedersoli, and maybe Lyman are okay, and may be a decent choice for a newby just getting started with flintlocks, but I wouldn't bother with any of the other mass produced ones.
In my opinion, the important thing is to get a good one. Too many of the cheaper ones (under $1000.) do not have a good, hard frizzen and don't spark well.
Companies such as Track Of The Wolf, Tennessee Valley Manufacturing, Caywood, and The Log Cabin shop all sell custom or semi-custom muzzleloaders as complete ready to use, as kits, or "in the white" where all you have to do is to put the finish on them yourself. They all have websites that you can look up.

As for shooting and maintenance, they are really pretty simple. Load just like a caplock, except instead of a cap on a nipple you have a pan. Black powder, of course. The synthetics do not work well in a flintlock. You do not need 4F priming power, either, although it is certainly okay if you want to bother with it. I use 3F for the main charge in all my guns from .45 to .62 caliber and prime with the same powder. Some say 2F works better in the larger calibers, and maybe it does, but 3F works well for me.
Powder first. Then a patched round ball, unless you're using a smoothbore and shooting small shot. That's a whole 'nother ball game.
Just a little powder at the outer edge of the pan to prime. Don't fill the pan with powder.
Keep the gun clean. Run a toothpick or small wire into the touch hole from time to time to make sure it is clear and the fire from the powder in the pan has a clear path to reach the main charge.
Clean it like you do your caplocks, but be careful that dirty cleaning fluid doesn't run out the touch hole and make lines down the stock.
Mainly - have fun!

Smo

There's several Forums on Muzzleloading.
Some cater too both inlines and traditional side locks , some are traditional guns only.
There's always a good quality built flintlock for sale on these boards..

I'm not sure of your location so I can't recommend a shop .
But the recommendations above are worth looking at..
Good Luck, once the bug bites you it's all over..

Soon you will feel the need too step back in time , wear funny clothes and smell the smoke…

0E8EF3AC-DB2A-440D-A0F9-6424E4DE040B.jpeg

Wobblyshot1

What's your budget and what have you been looking at? Rancocas' and Smo's advice are spot on. The only manufactured one I have experience with is the Lyman Great Plains. I won a mildly used .54 flinter at a shooting match quite a few years ago. I was pleasantly surprised when I shot it as it was an accurate rifle with very good spark/ignition time. As I didn't need it, I ended up selling it to a member on this forum.

This being a deer hunting forum, I'm assuming you're wanting to kill deer with it. I have taken many, many deer with the simple patched ball. The main thing is to practice your marksmanship and in no time, you will be comfortable with it....after all it's just a funny rifle that uses a rock to get everything going. Some complain about all that fire and smoke right in their face upon ignition. I say if you're seeing that then you don't have your eye on your sight...nuff said.

I was very blessed to have been mentored by some great flintlock shooters over the nearly fifty years of shooting muzzle loaders and a lot was learned from them. I see your location is Rock Island which is just a tad over an hour from me near Murfreesboro. I'm retired and have some free time. If you want to shoot some flintlocks then maybe we could meet half way at an appropriate range. Don't mind at all. Good luck on your quest.

Chickencoop96

Ive hunted almost 40yrs with a sidelock and want to go to a flintlock. I know nothing about them and wonder if anyone with experience has suggestions and wisdom for a first timer? Any and all advice from brand to loading and shooting is appreciated!
Honestly, Pedersoli makes pretty decent flintlocks, not sure what the price is now days but i know they shoot well. I've used mine for years. I've also heard that Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders are good but they ain't cheap. you can get a Kibler southern mountain rifle kit for about 8 or 900 and build it yourself. just depends on what you're using it for and and how much you're using it. anytime i hunt in the foggy or damp weather i have to wrap the lock in something to keep moisture out of the flash pan but other than that they do well.

Flint

Be sure and check out the Southeastern Rendezvous coming!
The Forum's very own Flint is hosting it at his farm..
Which I would like too Thank for graciously offering his farm as the Site for this years event.

I'm sure there'll be plenty of flintlocks there for a man to fondle…😎👍
Thanks for the kind words Smo.

There will plenty of nice folks here who will gladly talk flintlocks and you can see them in action as well.

ChinaLakePW

I'm in the same boat. I've been doing percussion muzzleloaders since my dad got me interested in the '70s. I just agreed on buying my first flintlock from a forum member here.

Long term, I'm looking at doing a Kibler SMR, but I just can't swing a project (even an easy one) with all the irons I have in the fire right now.

Latest posts