Flintlock Supplies

Wobblyshot1

You need to visit Tip Curtis Frontier Shop just off I65 in Cross Plains, TN. He's got more stuff than Dixie Gun Works....no joke.

Give him a call at 615-654-4445 to make sure he is in the shop and tell him Robin sent you.

Smo

Tip's is a great place to go.He has lots of great stuff.Well worth the drive to visit him. You can order on line for Track of the Wolf as well I just ordered some things last week I got them within 3 days.

Non-Typical

Wobblyshot1 said:
Good luck with your flintlock. If you need any help or advice, let me know. I've been shooting them for nearly 40 years....you might say I,m addicted :)

Would you recommend Goex or Pyrodex powder for the main charge. How do you figure out the best thickness of oiled shooting patches for a 50 caliber, is just trial and error. Thanks for the advice.

Smo

I shoot Goex in mine mostly fffg and prime with ffffg. You can use fffg as a priming powder,but to me it seems like ffffg is better. After all that's what it's made for. I have used Pyrodex back several years ago and what I found out was it's a lot harder to clean up after shooting.It seems to cake up and harden in the bore.Swiss is another brand of black powder which i'm being told burns hotter than Goex and a little cleaner. I have not shot any Swiss ,so I can't say for sure. It cost a few extra $ a pound,more than Goex. As far as patches most shoot a thickness from 15 to 20 1000's. It depends on the bore of the rifle being used. You want a good tight fit. If you can find pillow ticking(the blue stripe material that was used to cover pillows back in the day) it usually runs around 18 1000's thick. I wash it and then use spit as lube if just shooting for fun. I cut at the muzzle, therefore after washing cut a strip about 1 &1/2 inches wide and place the ball on top of the strip and start the ball down into the bore just below the muzzle crown and then cut the patch and drive the ball on home. For hunting I use olive oil patches with a round ball.To me shooting a side lock /Flintlock muzzle loader is a challenge and that's what I like.If these guns are well maintained and you do your part and put in the time to get the right patch & ball combo you will have an accurate,productive hunting rifle. It's always fun to go to the range and watch the looks on everyones faces when you pull a target with one ragged hole in the center

Locksley

Smo said:
I shoot Goex in mine mostly fffg and prime with ffffg. You can use fffg as a priming powder,but to me it seems like ffffg is better. After all that's what it's made for. I have used Pyrodex back several years ago and what I found out was it's a lot harder to clean up after shooting.It seems to cake up and harden in the bore.Swiss is another brand of black powder which i'm being told burns hotter than Goex and a little cleaner. I have not shot any Swiss ,so I can't say for sure. It cost a few extra $ a pound,more than Goex. As far as patches most shoot a thickness from 15 to 20 1000's. It depends on the bore of the rifle being used. You want a good tight fit. If you can find pillow ticking(the blue stripe material that was used to cover pillows back in the day) it usually runs around 18 1000's thick. I wash it and then use spit as lube if just shooting for fun. I cut at the muzzle, therefore after washing cut a strip about 1 &1/2 inches wide and place the ball on top of the strip and start the ball down into the bore just below the muzzle crown and then cut the patch and drive the ball on home. For hunting I use olive oil patches with a round ball.To me shooting a side lock /Flintlock muzzle loader is a challenge and that's what I like.If these guns are well maintained and you do your part and put in the time to get the right patch & ball combo you will have an accurate,productive hunting rifle. It's always fun to go to the range and watch the looks on everyones faces when you pull a target with one ragged hole in the center

I loved shooting my old 54 caliber flint-lock longrifle with that big Davis lock I bought at Tippys place back when he was on the lake in Hendersonville . Now he really does have more good gun stuff than Dixie Gun Works at his store in Cross Plains TN .

Wobblyshot1

Non-Typical said:
Wobblyshot1 said:
Good luck with your flintlock. If you need any help or advice, let me know. I've been shooting them for nearly 40 years....you might say I,m addicted :)

Would you recommend Goex or Pyrodex powder for the main charge. How do you figure out the best thickness of oiled shooting patches for a 50 caliber, is just trial and error. Thanks for the advice.

Real black powder is the only way to go with a flintlock. In spite of what you read or hear about 2fg powder for rifles, I'd go with 3fg for my main charge. You can also use it for your prime but 4fg is better. It's my understanding that Ted's in Columbia carries Goex real black powder. I'm thinking that The Saddle Shop in Triune might have it too. Fifty to 60 grains for fun but bump it up to 70 to 90 for deer.

As far as a ball and patch, it all depends upon bore diameter and groove depth. If you have an import or TC a .490 with 10 or 15 1000th patch will probably be just about right. If that turns out to be too loose you can always go to a thicker patch. Whatever you use for a patch make sure it's 100% cotton. In the day, linen was used. Any fabric blend with polyester is a no go....the polyester melts with the powder burn temp and will create a mess. As far as lube is concern, some people use spit but I hate licking patches. For just regular range use, I generally go with a soap/water mix. For hunting I'll use a non petroleum oil or lube. Black powder burnt with petroleum leaves an almost tar like residue. Stay away from petroleum except for rust prevention. You can alway wipe it out before you shoot with black.

Heck....I could go on and on. If you're in Williamson county, we're real close. If we could hook up somehow, I'd give ya enough stuff to get started in flint shooting. I like promoting real muzzle loading......uh, I mean traditional muzzle loading. PM me anytime.

Smo

Wobblyshot1 said:
Non-Typical said:
Wobblyshot1 said:
I like promoting real muzzle loading......uh, I mean traditional muzzle loading. PM me anytime. [/quote

I hear you on the real muzzleloading. I'm just over in Humpreys Co myself. I do wish there was a group of guys around to shoot with. I belonged to a small club while I was working in Fl. We had monthly shoots and it was a great time.