First trilobite find ever for me today!

Chris Tripp

SANY00961.JPG

Found on the DeKalb/ Wilson Co. line in Tennessee 6-28-2009, we found 4 all together with only one whole, which my aunt has and I didn't get a picture, will get a picture of her's later. I had to epoxy coat the fossil and matrix due to the soft crumbly nature of the sandstone/shell matrix it was in. Wanted to also add that it is of the phacopida species from the Devonian age, 416-359 million years old.

GOHUNT

How do you go about looking for those? guess it is not like looking for indian artifacts. Also, I guess it would help to be in an area that was covered by ocean many millions of years ago? Not sure East Tennessee was, but I do know middle Tennessee was. Company I work for buys sand from Camden in Benton Co. that was supposedly deposited there millions of years ago when the Gulf of Mexico as we know it extended all the way up into that part of Tennessee.

Chris Tripp

actually from pre-cambrian- paleozoic times (4,500,000,000-543,000,000 years ago) most of our continent was covered with oceans and seas. I look for shell beds in shale, sandstone and the thin layered sediments of limestone.

Chris Tripp

trilobitebest.jpg

One of the better ones I found recently. When I found it yesterday, it was only partially exposed at the head and at the tail. Worked 4 hours with a tiny dental pick and microscope cleaning matrix away.

B.D.

I used to find some trilobites around Pickwick Lake, but that was 25 years ago. I haven't been back in a long time. Of course, I guess if they've been there 500 million years, another 25 years is nothing.

bd

HuntEatSleep&Repeat

where do you find fossils like these? im real big into paleontology and have always wanted to do a fossil dig in hell creek, but of course theres the money, so i wont be able to do that for a while, anyone know a good place to look for fossils around either greene county, or chocolate chip cookie county?

Latest posts