First season with a crossbow

basset

I have shot one maybe once or twice, just was offered a bow to use this coming season so here we go. What's your advice and guidance - aside from practice, and practice some more?

WVBulldog

Oh, and keep your thumb down. I was in Bass Pro in Nashville and the guy at the archery desk was telling me about some guy trying out a crossbow in the store and lopped off his thumb. Can't confirm it because i wasn't there, but after inspection on my Tenpoint, it's possible.

basset

Thanks, everyone... what do you lube the string with? I have a pretty steep bank in my back yard going down to the Harpeth and deer do show up along the bank, it's 33 yards from my porch deck. Hmmmmm.

WVBulldog

Well, I wouldn't "lube" the string. Wax the string and lube the rails. Sporting good stores sell crossbow rail lube specially made for crossbows. They claim the specially made lubricant helps prevent buildup in the trigger mech over other lube methods. I use redhead crossbow lubricant just because it seems every time I am low I happen to be in bass pro and remember. Apply lubricant to the rails every 5-10 shots, or youll be buying a new string before you want to.

Pic IN the Casa

Inspect the bow for defects as you would a compound.

dryhorn2 is right- practice with broadheads.

And don't waste money on high dollar broadheads, get Thunderheads and spend your extra money on tracer noks for your bolts.

Mag

2-Step Enabled
I can second the advise about keeping your thumb down. My Dad was discharging his crossbow and we spent the next 5 hours at the hospital while they reattached the top of his thumb. Came very close to losing it.

basset

And you're not supposed to dry fire them either, right? What do you do if you have a bolt strung up at the end of the day, shoot it into the ground or release the string some way?

Rubberduck270

You could shoot it into the ground if you didn't like your arrow. Or you can get a small discharge bag/target and carry with you. Or just take your regular target with you.

Mag

2-Step Enabled
I carry an old bolt with a field tip on it and fire it into the ground.

BlackBelt

Make sure the center serving isn't unwinding (that's the extra wraps of string around the center of the drawstring, where the arrow nocks to it). They have a tendency to come loose with a lot of use.
Don't oil or lube that center serving or it will damage the string/serving.
When the crossbow is cocked, look for tiny cracks in the limbs. Most manufacturers will replace any with cracks for free.
Get a crank cocking device if you are hunting from a stand. It's WAY to dangerous to try to chocolate chip cookie your crossbow by hand or with a rope from an elevated platform. If you are in a tree, spend the extra cash and get the crank cocker (don't ask how I learned this).
Make sure all bolts are tight, especially the main bolt that connects the bow part to the stock. Those can come undone just a little and cause all kinds of accuracy problems.
Don't over-lube the rails or the string.
Many crossbow manufacturers recommend replacing the string at 300-400 shots. Keep a "sort of" count of about where you are. I replace my strings every 3 years. You might not notice it, bu the strings will stretch over time and start losing their efficiency.

Latest posts