First one down...slow start

catman529

Last year was 97° when I started hunting and I was covered up in deer. Killed a doe and an 8 point before statewide season even opened.

This year the weather has been amazing, but I struggled to even see deer for the first week. Second week deer sightings picked up, but I wasn't getting a shot at anything, not even a doe.

Today I checked a salt lick I started this summer and the sign was great and the wind was good. I pulled the trail cam out about a month ago, so I had no recent intel other than deer tracks everywhere.

Climbed up about 430 pm determined to kill a doe.

5:30pm here comes that doe, straight toward me heading for the salt lick. She gets to about 5 yards and looks right at me. I'm in one of the only good trees, 80% of the trees are ash that have been killed by emerald ash borer.

Due to this barren wasteland of dead trees, I was skylined pretty bad in this skinny elm tree, and she looked me in the eye and took off running.

Within an hour I saw another deer coming, a decent 2.5 year old buck. Seen some kickers on his base so I figured he'd be a cool looking deer to have. Behind him was another 2.5 year old buck with a lot of character.

Buck 1 gets to the same spot as the doe, and pegs me. He doesn't spook, but he starts walking to the right and and checking me every step.

Meanwhile Buck 2 hasn't seen me yet. He notices Buck 1 isn't too happy about something and I can tell they're about to bounce. Buck 2 is broadside at 15 yards so I draw back slowly and double lung him. Ran about 170 yards with a 2" hole through both lungs.

158894352f75632e75af9d7d9b23b038.jpg

c3a7f1bd1cc9fa9abe82bdb880b13313.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cousinjordo

Nice buck, sounds like a fun hunt. It's no fun when they're easy, glad they got your blood pumping and gave you a good story to tell. Congrats dude!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catman529

cousinjordo":2nd9r0zq said:
Nice buck, sounds like a fun hunt. It's no fun when they're easy, glad they got your blood pumping and gave you a good story to tell. Congrats dude!

thanks! This one was easy, short walk from the truck to salt lick, climb tree, kill a deer. But I hunted a whole lot before it got easy. Only takes one day to kill something. I'll be back after em soon as I can. I'm wanting to get into a good hot white oak. These deer weren't on acorns at all.

fairchaser

Congratulations Catman, I enjoy the stories. Over here in CWD zone, we can't use salt so it's very tough even seeing a deer.

tree_ghost

Atta boy Catman!! Awesome looking buck. Was he a deer you knew of previously or a new comer? I love all his splits! Congratulations bud!

catman529

fairchaser":fa0rrmaz said:
Congratulations Catman, I enjoy the stories. Over here in CWD zone, we can't use salt so it's very tough even seeing a deer.
thanks. I rarely rely on salt to see deer. This is just one of those spots I knew the deer were hitting so I waited for a good wind and hunted it. I haven't killed a deer over salt in at least 3 years

Latest posts