First Buck

dammitbobby

They will do that a lot! I think it was rem270's blood trail thread, there was another buck that made a large circle like that. How was the shot? Any idea why it took him 2 hours to die?

I also may have followed the blood trail to see if I could have tracked it had he not made a full circle like that.
It turns out he was either very very slightly quartering-to or he jumped the string when I took the shot so the exit angle hit guts. Fortunately I really didn't have to track it all all. If he didn't come right back it may have been a pretty difficult track.

Speedwell-Hunter

Just took my first buck and did it on the archery opener on public land. Many seasons worth of hours went into that one. It leaves me humbled yet with a tremendous sense of accomplishment. I'm truly grateful for the experience, it couldn't have been drawn up any better.View attachment 149976View attachment 149977
neat you hauled him in the boat, great deer.

I enjoy estimating B&C (Boone and Crockett) scores for white tail;

• I like to practice so when I am in the field I can estimate on the fly.
  • It is fun to see what folks are shooting and engage.
  • All my scores are based on photos you posted to here, thus it may not be accurate. Normal B&C scores are done with a 1/4-inch wide flexible steel tape to the nearest one-eighth of an inch. I do not go to the 1/8 inch. I do whole inches and go off photos and use things in the photos for approximate references!
  • Also, I do gross score and don't do the whole subtract for atypical stuff.
  • Of note, circumference (mass) is tough to gauge off of photos

Based on your photo, my estimate B&C for your deer is:

80 points.

Due to error, I would add another 5 points or so, final estimated B&C of 85 points.

-the left sided has G2 and G3 points that look bigger than the right based on the pics. what a fun and crazy hunt, especially coming back and dying right in front on you, wild!

dammitbobby

neat you hauled him in the boat, great deer.

I enjoy estimating B&C (Boone and Crockett) scores for white tail;

• I like to practice so when I am in the field I can estimate on the fly.
  • It is fun to see what folks are shooting and engage.
  • All my scores are based on photos you posted to here, thus it may not be accurate. Normal B&C scores are done with a 1/4-inch wide flexible steel tape to the nearest one-eighth of an inch. I do not go to the 1/8 inch. I do whole inches and go off photos and use things in the photos for approximate references!
  • Also, I do gross score and don't do the whole subtract for atypical stuff.
  • Of note, circumference (mass) is tough to gauge off of photos

Based on your photo, my estimate B&C for your deer is:

80 points.

Due to error, I would add another 5 points or so, final estimated B&C of 85 points.

-the left sided has G2 and G3 points that look bigger than the right based on the pics. what a fun and crazy hunt, especially coming back and dying right in front on you, wild!
Awesome! I appreciate the info. Here are a couple more angles. He's got an extra little point on his left side by his brow tine that adds a little personality.

5628F914-900A-48D7-BCD9-4841F7D554F2.png

36133235-28F4-4170-A6EE-2566B13A00E7.png

Speedwell-Hunter

Awesome! I appreciate the info. Here are a couple more angles. He's got an extra little point on his left side by his brow tine that adds a little personality.

View attachment 150071
View attachment 150072
Please let me know if you officially score it yourself what you get, that way I can keep myself sharp. Again, great deer and thanks for the added photos. would add a few inches, thus my revised estiamte is 83

dammitbobby

I really appreciate all the positive comments! I grew up hunting with buddies and family members on leases but never really got out on my own until my late 20s. I give credit to the TN Deer community for helping me be successful. It's such a great resource for support and there is a wealth of knowledge and experience posted throughout this site.