First bow buck...kinda crazy with pics

G_Man

Gonna try to keep it short, but 2nd week of season, i got a shot at this buck...hit a branch and arrow turned towards his hams. Couldn't find blood or my arrow (guess its just buried somewhere) so i was a little upset about it. Fast forward to yesterday am, i heard some sparring good while before sunrise. I did some light rattling right before light and sure enough...heard one coming. Couldn't see him, but heard him on my right. Circled around and i got a glimpse of him on my left, but off he went.

Had a doe cross behind me and I had a shot right where i took the shot at the buck, but i didn't like the angle (and the fact that i THOUGHT i injured that buck in the same spot), so i let her walk. That night, right at 6pm it was starting to get dark and i didn't want to be tempted with an iffy shot, and as i reached for my bow to get down...here came that buck from this am....got a good look at him, good shot, he ran 40 yards and crashed. I got down, went to the house and ate some cookies and milk, went back and picked him up.

Now the crazy part...his left ham had been shaved where my first arrow hit. I was tickled pink 1) first buck 2) was with a bow 3) was the buck i thought i injured earlier...so i got some closure on it. Couldn't be happier

Kinda a fatty

Got his lungs and sliced his heart

Entry wound

Shaved ham

In a cooler on ice...

pass-thru

Congrats. That's bizzarre about the shaving, never seen anything like that. Did you find a bunch of hair when you shot at him the first time?

Dbllunger

G_Man said:
good shot, he ran 40 yards and crashed. I got down, went to the house and ate some cookies and milk, went back and picked him up.

Why didn't you just go pick him up immediately if you saw him crash ?? Milk and cookies?? Are you Santa Claus? :D

seriously though, congrats on your first one Mr. Kringle. Great story and great shot.