Finding a place to Hunt near Nashville

brbell19

I moved to Hendersonville TN last year but never got around to hunting. This year I'm looking to get out and bow hunt but am unsure of a few things. Do people typically use tree stands on public land or most use chairs/blinds? Are there any good butchers in the area? Assuming I am able to be successful on a hunt this season. Any help or tips Are greatly appreciated!

brbell19

Yes they do use tree stands just not permanent. And Flowers farms is the best processor around.
Okay makes sense. I figured I'd probably get one of those camp chair looking ones and sit by the base of a tree just cause I wouldn't be able to take a tree stand down easily everytime. Thanks for the processor recommendation!

dammitbobby

I hunt a lot of public and usually pack in my stand to hang and hunt. I use a hawk ultralight lock-on and hawk helium climbing sticks. Total weight with the pack is less than 25 pounds and I can be up in the tree in about 15-20 minutes. Seriously a game changer coming from sitting on the ground.

1FC2E164-F147-4F59-A101-7E1D0A387D50.jpeg

dammitbobby

I also agree with the Flowers recommendation. I just picked up my opening day buck from them yesterday. They're nice as can be and had me ready in two days. Got me some jalapeño cheddar jerky snack sticks I'll be bringing to the stand with me the rest of the season.

brbell19

I hunt a lot of public and usually pack in my stand to hang and hunt. I use a hawk ultralight lock-on and hawk helium climbing sticks. Total weight with the pack is less than 25 pounds and I can be up in the tree in about 15-20 minutes. Seriously a game changer coming from sitting on the ground.

View attachment 150433
I do have a tree stand but it's extremely heavy and very loud to set up, sadly. This year I'll have to do just ground sits but I'll be eyeing that stand for next year! Congrats on the opening day buck!

BSK

View attachment 150433
Man, that is a heck of a set-up! Very nice the way you have it packed together.

Buzzard Breath

View attachment 150433
Definitely a nice looking set-up.

CHRIS WILSON

As mentioned, a good climber or hang on stand are great options for public land hunting. I hunt primarily public land and carry a Summit mini Viper into those areas. Along with the side bags that are attached, it weighs in around 22 pounds total weight. After some practice, you can get on and up a tree pretty darn quick. For certain areas where there's not a suitable tree to climb, I have a Summit Stump tree seat that I strap onto a day pack for carry. The Millennium tree seat mentioned is a very nice option as well.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Perfect, thank you! I've only hunted from a tree stand before so ground hunting will be new and certainly challenging/interesting! But I'm looking forward to it
I started ground hunting several years ago . Needless to say they will bust you much easier on the Ground. Try to break up your outline some how. Hang some camo material over a limb. A Blown over tree that you can safely sit under. Maybe a small clump of Cedars that you can Hide in. Anything to break up your outline and conceal any movement will give you some advantage.

brbell19

I started ground hunting several years ago . Needless to say they will bust you much easier on the Ground. Try to break up your outline some how. Hang some camo material over a limb. A Blown over tree that you can safely sit under. Maybe a small clump of Cedars that you can Hide in. Anything to break up your outline and conceal any movement will give you some advantage.
Thanks for the tips! I was just watching a "The hunting public" video about this and they mentioned the same exact thing. Making sure to stay low and use natural cover when possible. Sadly I haven't been able to scout Percy Priest so I'm gonna see what I can do

brbell19

As mentioned, a good climber or hang on stand are great options for public land hunting. I hunt primarily public land and carry a Summit mini Viper into those areas. Along with the side bags that are attached, it weighs in around 22 pounds total weight. After some practice, you can get on and up a tree pretty darn quick. For certain areas where there's not a suitable tree to climb, I have a Summit Stump tree seat that I strap onto a day pack for carry. The Millennium tree seat mentioned is a very nice option as well.
Awesome, thanks for the recommmendation!

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Thanks for the tips! I was just watching a "The hunting public" video about this and they mentioned the same exact thing. Making sure to stay low and use natural cover when possible. Sadly I haven't been able to scout Percy Priest so I'm gonna see what I can do
Percy Priest will be a changeling hunt. Make sure you have a good map showing safety zones and private land. If you have some kind of boat you might be able to find a spot a little less pressured.

brbell19

Percy Priest will be a changeling hunt. Make sure you have a good map showing safety zones and private land. If you have some kind of boat you might be able to find a spot a little less pressured.
I have OnX Hunt that I'm planning to use. Found a few spots I plan to use from it. Shows property lines/safety zones, etc. Unfortunately no access to boat or kayak or anything

Latest posts