Finally got to try the Magnum XR's

Tennessee Lead

Mossberg 835 with .683 Carlson Long Beard XR choke fed with Winchester Long Beard Magnum XR 3" #6 shot 1&7/8 oz 1050 fps
70 degrees 280 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards
42334235e6252571abc3ee86bb639464.jpg

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker

Andy S.

Re: Finally got to try the Magnum XR's

Pretty dense pattern, bet it is suuuuuper tight at 20 and under. Have you shot it at any distances less than 40 to check it?

TheLBLman

I applaud Winchester's innovation with these shells, and am impressed with their patterns.
But no matter the pattern density, how does a low-velocity load of #6 lead pellets "extend" range?

And as Andy points out, sometimes we're shooting ourselves in the feet when we opt for rifle-like patterns, while our average shot may be closer to 30 yards?

Again, I'm not knocking these shells (nor anyone experimenting with them). Just sharing some thoughts. :)

Tennessee Lead

Andy S.":v2zvu0iy said:
Pretty dense pattern, bet it is suuuuuper tight at 20 and under. Have you shot it at any distances less than 40 to check it?
Yes Andy I've checked 20 a few shots with each load that I have. It is tight the bulk of the pattern is about like a baseball. At 30 it is still a tight pattern but opens up a little more. Here is 30 with that load above
103c0a729fdb70511e8acabdfb821908.jpg

Tennessee Lead

Andy S.":obhc8xdn said:
Tennessee Lead":obhc8xdn said:
.....the bulk of the pattern is about like a baseball.
About what I figured. As long as you know it and hold tight, all should be good.
Yep. The one I killed Saturday had me nervous since he was so close.
I haven't tried the 3&1/2" yet. I had no intention of shooting the Longbeard shells until I shot a 3" #6. It patterned tighter than the Mag Blends I was shooting with less recoil plus they are cheaper. So I figured it was a no brainier lol. I am going to try the 5's eventually and see how they pattern. I want to try the 4's again possibly in 3&1/2" the 3" shot well just more open than what I thought they would be. Plus they should hit Hard!

Tennessee Lead

What's weird to me is at 30 the 1&3/4 oz load is tighter than the 1&7/8 oz load in my set up.

Andy S.

Tennessee Lead":a7fugm32 said:
What's weird to me is at 30 the 1&3/4 oz load is tighter than the 1&7/8 oz load in my set up.
This is just a thought, but you may be overchoking the 1 7/8 load, thus making it "blow or expand" as soon as it exits the choke, rather than the shot string staying together downrange as we like. A rule of thumb to remember is that overchoking a load can be as bad, if not worse, than under choking a load. There is always that middle ground (just enough choke) that is usually the sweet spot with many load/choke combinations. The ONLY sure way to know, is to spend time at the range to shoot and see. I've had same load/choke combinations shoot entirely different in two identical guns made by same manufacturer, albeit that is not the norm. Gun/choke/shell combinations can be fickle at times.