Food Plots Fertilizer... OUCH

megalomaniac

Holy crap, just contracted with the coop to spread fertilizer on my fall plots. Going with half the amount I used last year... yet it's still going to be $650 for 11 acres. That still leaves me with another 5 acres that have to be spread ourselves where the truck cannot reach.

Basically double the cost from last year. Feeding deer is getting expensive!

Pioneer1789

I got priced $460/ton last year with a spreader cart rental for triple 15. It was the first time fertilizing my place, so I don't know if that's a good price or not.

Sam Davis

I can't believe you spend that much for food plots. It hurts paying the high prices for pasture and hay fields.Didn't realize people payed that for food plots.

BSK

I can't believe you spend that much for food plots. It hurts paying the high prices for pasture and hay fields.Didn't realize people payed that for food plots.
Easy to spend $3,000/year on 10 acres of food plots, considering lime, fertilizer, seed, equipment rental, etc.

JhnDeereMan

2-Step Enabled
Only will be higher next spring. You can count on it with commodity prices above the 5 year average and all else going on.

If fertilizer follows most other farm inputs expect a 15-20% price increase.

DeerCamp

Holy crap, just contracted with the coop to spread fertilizer on my fall plots. Going with half the amount I used last year... yet it's still going to be $650 for 11 acres. That still leaves me with another 5 acres that have to be spread ourselves where the truck cannot reach.

Basically double the cost from last year. Feeding deer is getting expensive!
Yikes!

Have you done soil tests that indicate it is needed?

megalomaniac

Well... its for the deer, but I do cut the big fields in the spring for haylage for cattle. By the time you spend$30 to $40 per acre for seed, another $30 per acre for fuel and wear and tear on your equipment, $20 per acre for herbicide, and your time, it just doesn't make sense to not spend a little more and put another $50 per acre of fertilizer.

DeerCamp

Ya'll just need buy some ground with fertile dirt and be done with it. 😜
Where I live, it was 100% wooded before we built out the plots. Its mostly a red clay and has been an absolute chore to try and build up.

But I'm starting to make some progress. I put out (by hand) several thousand pounds of lime and fertilizer for the past few years, and have gone to the no-till method. I am starting to finally see progress. There is a layer of soil on top that is about 1/2" thick that is dark brown/black.

Just gonna keep churning.

BSK

Where I live, it was 100% wooded before we built out the plots. Its mostly a red clay and has been an absolute chore to try and build up.

But I'm starting to make some progress. I put out (by hand) several thousand pounds of lime and fertilizer for the past few years, and have gone to the no-till method. I am starting to finally see progress. There is a layer of soil on top that is about 1/2" thick that is dark brown/black.

Just gonna keep churning.
And that's the key - time. My most productive plots took YEARS of spray/broadcast/mow planting technique to produce a couple inches of brown humus topsoil.

megalomaniac

Fertilizer down, most of the drilling has been done... just need the front to cross to the east of Nashville and get some rain!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210915-100233_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20210915-100233_Messages.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot_20210915-100245_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20210915-100245_Messages.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 72

Pioneer1789

We're getting a nice soaking rain in East TN today. I'll have to check my gauge when I get home to see how much.

Latest posts