Fence Row Screening Help

NewGuy

Good Morning Everyone. I purchased some land within the last few years that backs up to some semi-residential area. We currently cut hay off the field up to the fence and just have some scrub bushes that run down it. I'm trying to give deer more comfort in moving in this field and was curious what I could look to do on the yellow highlighted area to increase the cover for them so they aren't as spooked to move.

Attachments

• Fence.jpeg
    Fence.jpeg
    416.6 KB · Views: 71

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
A native grass blend. Seed is a little expensive and takes time to establish but it creates a habitat that is good for all wildlife and elements of it remain for late winter as well. Mix it with your Sudan grass seed and the Sudan will fill in till the grasses establish. Plant your seedling pines and the warm season / native grasses will fill in making a savannah type area that will do multi duty

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
Pines may not survive if there are many deer around. I have noticed that they eat white pines more than loblolly. I planted hundreds of white on my border in Illinois, and lost all of them to deer nipping them off. I even had some that were pulled completely out of the ground. I planted a screen of whites and loblolly here in Tn, and lost all but one of the whites . Most of the loblolly survived, except for the ones the deer rubbed. Plant heavy and close together some some will remain.

TNTreeman

Pines grow like weeds at my place. Had a buddy pluck up about 200 many yrs ago, most lived. Id let you get some this upcoming winter if you'd like. You can pull them up no problem when it's good and wet. They're small, but free.

BSK

Take Popcorn's advice and plant a strip of tall-growing grasses. Just inside of that, 4-5 rows of staggered loblolly pine. It will take a couple of years for the pines to be tall enough for a visual screen, so use the tall grasses for that the first few years.

Planking

I used a front end loader with a transplanter attachment to transplant about 100 cedars in fall-winter to do something similar.

TRHC

Check out Egyptian Wheat. This month is the time to plant it. It's an annual that can get about 10 feet tall. I've used it with good success by broadcasting a strip about 25' wide. It's not permanent, so you can always go back to an open border should you choose to. It's also the perfect short term solution to give you a barrier while your trees grow if you wanted to plant trees along the line and this behind it. There's lots of YouTube videos on it.

Carlos

I'd plant Leylands, they make a great screen. They're an attractive addition as well.

BSK

Check out Egyptian Wheat. This month is the time to plant it. It's an annual that can get about 10 feet tall. I've used it with good success by broadcasting a strip about 25' wide. It's not permanent, so you can always go back to an open border should you choose to. It's also the perfect short term solution to give you a barrier while your trees grow if you wanted to plant trees along the line and this behind it. There's lots of YouTube videos on it.
Great advice

2in1shot

A friend and I split an order of 360 red cedar plugs from Chief River nursery in early spring. All 190 of mine are alive and growing well. I planted a 2 row stagger that was about 400 yards long for privacy. Very pleased with the trees I received.

7mmWSM

North woods Whitetail sales a plot screen. You have to replant it every year but it can be a quick fix. I've planted it numerous years and get heights up to 12-14' with it. I plant mine about 10' wide and you can't see through it. I use it as a barrier from road hunters and sneaking to and from my stand.

Latest posts