favorite calls

shotgun

wonderin what turkey calls yall have had the most success with. needin to purchase some good calls here soon and theres a whole bunch to choose from.

catman529

well since I've only killed 4 birds - 1 spring jake and 3 fall hens - and called them all with a homemade tube call, that would have to be my favorite. I do like to carry a slate and mouth call as well but I'll be sharpening my skills most with the tube.

TheAirMan

I got a slate and a glass besides my aluminum. I like both of them. The slate is quarter-sawn white oak with a black locust striker and the glass is ambrosia maple with a yellow heart striker.

lightsoutcalls2.jpg

lightsoutcall1.jpg

TheAirMan

I just had him make me what he recommended for an all around good slate call. That's what he made. As you know, he's got a bunch of different woods for pots and strikers.

String Music

The Lights Out and Darrin Dawkins calls are just about the only aluminum call I haven't tried. I'm a die hard fan of both anodized and non-anodized aluminum calls.

After all the aluminum calls I've tried, my favorite is one I built for $12. It's an anodized aluminum over slate in a double-sided cherry pot. This call is an absolute killer! For strikers, I use a one-piece dymondwood and a one-piece dymondwood with a corian tip. The dymondwood striker is more high pitched while the corian tipped one adds more rasp.

IMG_20120117_123541.jpg

IMG_20120117_123706.jpg

My second favorite is Zink's Power Hen Aluminum. Once again, I've been through several calls and this one actually beat out a similar custom built call (Silver Fox). I use the purpleheart striker it came with along with a two-piece laminated striker. This call is loud and full of rasp!

IMG_20120117_123829.jpg

Trevor2

rbreedi1 said:
Anybody used hooks mouth calls?
I bought a hooks mouth call last year and love them! Throw away all the walmart and whatever other stores, mouth calls you have and get a good call. Hooks all the way.

Latest posts