Fat man friendly treestands?

ratsnakeboogy

Any one know of any fat man friendly stands? I'm 6'7" and 385 lbs. I have an old Warren Sweat climber that's rated for 400lbs, but it's far from comfortable. Any ideas on climbers or even hang-ons. Big people seem to get left out of the sport sometimes. I'm big, but I am still very mobile and I want to leave the ground.

Thanks,

Don

Trapper John

If you're not against ladder stands I know Summit makes a buddy stand that's rated for either 500 or 550 pounds. Very roomy and stable. Not sure about climbers. I have the Goliath but it's rated just at 350 lbs.

BlackBelt

From what I've read, most of the stand manufacturers claim their stands will hold up to 3 to 4 times their rated weight (rated weight usually being 300 lbs), but for liability reasons they can only recommend that those 300 lbs or less use their stand.
For instance, my TreeLounge climber, if I remember correctly, can hold up to 1400 lbs., plus or minus. However, the makers of the stand say that 300 lbs is their recommended maximum weight. Probably just a liability thing to keep them from being successfully sued by someone in case of an accident.

ratsnakeboogy

That's kind of what I figured, but I don't want to get 20 feet up and have to "think lite" and be uncomfortable for 4 hours.

Thanks Blackbelt

Trapper John

I think Blackbelt is right. I honestly can't remember how much they "underrate" their stands, but I do remember being told that most if not all treestand manufacturers put a lower weight limit on the box than the stand can actually handle. They're just covering themselves legally.

Personally I'm not comfortable enough with heights to risk it, but you do have a built in safety buffer there.

ratsnakeboogy

I don't want to fall, but hunting from the ground during bow season is a challenge.

I can't even find a harness thats rated over 300, I would pat extra for a hunter safety system built for me, but I emailed them once and they pretty much said "sorry 'bout your luck".

Maybe I'll just make my own "overbuilt" equipment. :/

BlackBelt

You might go to the TreeLounge website (just google it) and hit the FAQ, and look through the other material there. I can't recommend that you do something that is against what the manufacturer says,... but if it was me...
As far as harnesses go, I think just getting two should do the trick, with plenty of safety margin. I would probably use them as independent systems, though, just to make sure. That means 2 tree straps with one tether to each, as opposed to just using one treestrap with two harness tethers. You could probably rig up something so you only had to swing it around the tree once, though.
Like I said, ultimately it's your decision on how much risk you want to take, and no one here is going to be in the tree with you, or supporting you financially if an accident happens. Of course that goes for all of us as well.
Good luck with it.

SMOKEYJOE

There was a company that made a stand called a big man 400 but am not sure about the manufacturer K-mart carried them for a while all aluminum and very roomy saw a used one for sale in spencer the other day not sure if he still has it I could give you directions if interested you may be able to google big man 400 and find something out on these stands I modified mine and put in summit seat made it alot more comfortable.

Big J

I am 6'5 and weight 360 lbs!
Gametamerstreestands.com The nmost comfortable hangon ever made is the ts-30
Also Chippawaa wedge-loc. Will never move!!