False Rut Observations?

BSK

Again, I'm shocked at the chasing I've seen on cam. And not the "yearling bucks pestering does in food plots" kind of chasing, but 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 year-old bucks flat out chasing does through the woods. Don't know what to make of that.

Ski

Again, I'm shocked at the chasing I've seen on cam. And not the "yearling bucks pestering does in food plots" kind of chasing, but 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 year-old bucks flat out chasing does through the woods. Don't know what to make of that.

Chasing in early October doesn't seem so abnormal to me, but the amount of it happening this year does. The breeding bell curve starts somewhere, and we've all seen the occasional early spring fawn which means momma had to be bred early.

Here's my guess. We know that doe fawns' first cycle happens once their bodies are large & capable enough to do so. It's usually after the peak breeding season but this year the deer are HEALTHY. Most fawns are almost clear of spots and they're as big as their mothers. In fact the does I'm seeing get harassed are the young ones. What I'm not seeing yet is the real intense scraping, and bucks in large part are still bachelored up. I'm only seeing the oldest bucks completely broken away and alone, but they still meet up & feed with the other bucks in the evenings. They're just bedding alone. So I don't think there's a lot of does warming up yet. It's just a time of feast and the deer are rolling in it, enjoying the easy life.

Lone Hunter

Two decent bucks I've been watching have disappeared. Even the small bucks are not showing up. Just does and fawns. I think the rut will begin early this year. Been seeing a lot of deer moving between 10:30am and 3 pm and I have not hunted this year. Good Luck to Those Hunting..

megalomaniac

3.5 y/o flat out running a doe on one of my farms yesterday. Thats VERY unusual for this time of the year for a buck of that age. 1.5s and 2.5s... sure, they start actively chasing now. But not 3.5 y/os.

Huntaholic

I saw a bruiser of a buck Sunday morning here sat the house, fully mature, swelled neck, swagging belly, Id guess at least 5.5 yrs old, cruising through, looking for does! hes NOT a regular here either, I dont normally see deer like this until mid December!

kaizen leader

I think it's going to be a long rut by me. I've got fawns that are almost as big as their mom and some with spots still on them. Is that an indication?

Ski

I think it's going to be a long rut by me. I've got fawns that are almost as big as their mom and some with spots still on them. Is that an indication?

Probably somewhat of an indication. Around here rut is always strung out. I still see rut activity in spring. Most happens in November but there are some that hit early in October and some way beyond close of season.

R&T Farm

All I'm seeing are nature does and fawns of two different age groups. Some are nearly as big as their mom and some that are small with spots.

I have not seen any bucks on camera since last season.

I just came in from moving cameras around. Hopefully I'll see some in the next day or so.

deerhunter10

Scrapes started getting hammered on our places Sunday morning. Actually getting worked all the way through. Deer have moved like crazy yesterday and today between 830 to 11. 3 shooters walking in daylight. Haven't witness any bucks fooling with does yet.

mike243

Well, I'm of the mind there is no false rut, when it starts it continues till the last doe is bred, highs and lows due to the estrous cycle of the doe's. We don't see a lot of it but more now due to trail cams.

BSK

Well, I'm of the mind there is no false rut, when it starts it continues till the last doe is bred, highs and lows due to the estrous cycle of the doe's. We don't see a lot of it but more now due to trail cams.
In the past, we used to see what many would call a "false rut," in that we would see a big surge of rubbing, scraping, and daylight movement by bucks almost exactly a month prior to the "normal" rut (generally around Oct 10-15). My speculation is that, as does are on a monthly cycle, a few actually do come into heat a month prior to other does in the area. But this also means it isn't truly a "false" rut. Real breeding is going on, but it involves just a small percentage of the does.

However, in the past few years, we have not observed this trend continuing. No idea why the change.

All that said, the crazy amount of early chasing by older bucks this year continues on my place. Checked cameras yesterday and got several hardcore chases on video.

mike243

The last 2-3 days I have seen a pile of deer ran over, they are moving and not being careful just like early November imo

Latest posts