False Rut Observations?

Ski

Buck dispersal. Bachelor groups broke up over last two weeks around here so all summer long I had a group of half dozen mature bucks living on the farm, which means none of my neighbors for probably a mile or two radius were seeing any mature bucks. Now that the group broke up with each buck going to his respective fall home, my neighbors are all seeing an uptick in activity and buck sightings while I'm seeing fewer.

UTGrad

Buck dispersal. Bachelor groups broke up over last two weeks around here so all summer long I had a group of half dozen mature bucks living on the farm, which means none of my neighbors for probably a mile or two radius were seeing any mature bucks. Now that the group broke up with each buck going to his respective fall home, my neighbors are all seeing an uptick in activity and buck sightings while I'm seeing fewer.

Yep I believe this is the reason for bucks showing up outside their summer patterns.

Ski

I never fret over not seeing bucks in the spring/summer cause I know that if I have does, (which I almost always do) those bucks hanging out elsewhere all summer long will end up working my place once things heat up.

Exactly. Not many properties hold summer bucks, and many of the ones that do don't keep many fall bucks. Completely different set of needs and few properties fill both roles.

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
Exactly. Not many properties hold summer bucks, and many of the ones that do don't keep many fall bucks. Completely different set of needs and few properties fill both roles.
I have one of those properties. I have some really nice bucks during the summer, and they leave in August never to be seen again.

Ski

I have one of those properties. I have some really nice bucks during the summer, and they leave in August never to be seen again.

These bucks lived on the place all summer long and in the last week have completely vacated the premises. I likely won't see them again until next summer if they survive the season. Maybe one or two will cruise through during rut but wouldn't surprise me if they don't. The bucks I see during rut will be completely different bucks. That's one of the things I love about deer hunting. You never know what's going to show up.

Attachments

• 20aug23.JPG
    20aug23.JPG
    326 KB · Views: 81
  • 20aug23 (2).JPG
    20aug23 (2).JPG
    322.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 20aug23 (3).JPG
    20aug23 (3).JPG
    323.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 20aug23 (4).JPG
    20aug23 (4).JPG
    324.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 20aug23 (5).JPG
    20aug23 (5).JPG
    324.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 9sep23.JPG
    9sep23.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 84

Flintlocksforme

I moved cameras to white oak ridges that are littered in scrapes like it's November. Very busy working branches and scrapes and even sparring but 90% at night possibly coming and going to and from a picked corn field. Going to have to see if a curious buck wants to take a stroll on one of these upcoming cool mornings. Ground is covered in acorns.

Dumbluck

I think we will see a lot more sign this year and a lot more aggression this year as well. We had a very wet summer, food was plentiful, and we have bumper acorn and persimmon crops this year. The bucks are much healthier and have more energy to spend patrolling territory. It should be a fun year.

Remi

I had a younger buck come in this evening and when I left I walked out on the same path he came in on about 15-20 mins earlier. He reeked, the air was still thick with buck scent 15-20mins after he had left.

Ski

The bucks are much healthier and have more energy to spend patrolling territory. It should be a fun year.

I've already been seeing a lot of bucks at every age class and they are indeed healthy. Even the young ones have good racks. Last year was rough. Wasn't much for sign and I didn't even see a mature buck until December. Feast or famine I guess. Gotta make years like this count because they don't happen very often in my experience.

BSK

I've already been seeing a lot of bucks at every age class and they are indeed healthy. Even the young ones have good racks. Last year was rough. Wasn't much for sign and I didn't even see a mature buck until December. Feast or famine I guess. Gotta make years like this count because they don't happen very often in my experience.
We always have at least one 140+ buck using our place during deer season and have a 150+ about every other year. Last year we might have had one buck that would break 120 and then just barely. I honestly thought we would see a big dip in antler development this year considering how bad of shape the deer were in winter, but that has not been the case. Antler development is excellent this year.

JCDEERMAN

Nothing here in SW TN. Typical range shifting, smaller doe groups, little bucks sparring, but that is about it.
Same here.

It's that time of year. Younger ones are getting frisky - chasing and sparring. The older ones, well, reminds me of the quote…

"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen." 🤣

JCDEERMAN

I think we will see a lot more sign this year and a lot more aggression this year as well. We had a very wet summer, food was plentiful, and we have bumper acorn and persimmon crops this year. The bucks are much healthier and have more energy to spend patrolling territory. It should be a fun year.
I'm hoping so. These are the years I live for. In the 98% ridge/hollow hardwoods environment, pre-rut is usually very magical.

Latest posts