Food Plots Fall clover maintenance?

Southern Sportsman

I realize I'm a little late tending to my clover, but I'd like the opinions of you resident experts. I have a ladino clover plot that is roughly 3 years since last replanting. Some sections have died out and been taken over by grasses. I will burn down and replant those next year (if not the whole plot depending on how the rest looks this fall). The rest of the plot still has a decent stand of clover, but it now has a lot of weed completion from various grasses and smartweed. I mowed it this past weekend.

Will it be worthwhile to spray it now? Or am I wasting time and money since many of the weeds have already set seed? Should I try to salvage the remaining clover or just burn it down and start from scratch in the spring? I have Cleth and 2-4DB on hand. Just wondering if it's worth spraying this late.

Thanks

JCDEERMAN

I don't think it's too late to spray the areas of weeds with clethodim and then over-seed those areas with some more clover. I'd seed right before a rain though. I hate maintaining clover plots - way too much maintenance.

megalomaniac

Agreed, spray now and reseed the bare areas asap. If it looks bad next spring, start over from scratch.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Maintain clover by regular mowing and spray with clethodim and butyrac after 7 to 10 day period. I do this 3X a year. Hard to kill weeds have to be addressed by preventing them from going to seed (mowing). Harder to kill grasses like sedge which also spreads by tubers and amaranth (palmer or pigweed} can be attacked by very specific spot spraying with crossbow, a very effective herbicide but use with caution or you will kill way more than you intend. Low pressure and a narrow spray cone on a back pack sprayer can be effective.
Another method I use to clean up problem clover plots is to out compete the weeds. After my last mow and spray I drill in or broadcast on 3 to 5 pounds of clover seed and 50 pounds of cereal rye per acre. Dont forget to fertilize your clover. something like a 0-30-30 works well. dont waste money on nitrogen, clover fixes nitrogen and extra just encourages grasses and weeds. The rye will provide food all winter and spring then it will protect the clover while it heads helping to out compete the weeds as well as providing food and cover for small game. Do not mow the rye till it heads out and goes to seed. Birds and turkey will eat most of it and any volunteer rye will be killed by your spray 10 days to 2 weeks after mowing. This wont cure all your problems but it will give you a head start.

Latest posts