Experienced reloader please

Tenntrapper

I've got another post about the 6.5 Swede starting loads, but since posting that, I've found some info. Anyway, I remember now why I stopped messing with it 2 years ago. For no apparent reason, it started flattening primers using the same load. Based on my own info, I started about 6 grains below where I had been a couple years ago. Fired one round, and flattened primer. I don't understand what's causing it, except right before I hit that spot a couple years ago, I had put in a wolf extra power firing pin spring. Looking through the fired, unprimed brass, as well as the round fired today, the firing pin is definitely hitting harder (deeper impact). Could this also be causing the flattened primers? There are no other signs of over pressure. Any advice would be appreciated.
FWIW, the heavier spring was installed to help decrease lock time.

DaveB

I would go to something between the current spring and your original spring provided the lock time remains under control. The deeper firing pin indentation will/may eventually catch up to you and you will get a punchthrough and blowback.

Can you not achieve your objective without the stronger spring?

mr.big

Those are pretty tough...sometimes if you adjust your size die down to far will cause primers to flatten without high pressure..but idk without being there..

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

mr.big

Jcalder":1rdyq0be said:
How is the headspace? I know it's possible for the primer to back out before the case expands and that will flatten them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep ..that's what I was talking about having the size die adjusted wrong..

Tenntrapper

Jcalder":2b9b3y9i said:
How is the headspace? I know it's possible for the primer to back out before the case expands and that will flatten them
I will double check everything again. This rifle was shooting great...until it wasn't. I just replaced the spring with the original. I will try it later this evening. Thanks again for the help.

Jcalder

mr.big":2c9fg74i said:
Jcalder":2c9fg74i said:

Yep ..that's what I was talking about having the size die adjusted wrong..

positive side is he can back the die out and gain some if that's the issue

Tenntrapper

I haven't got to try it since I replaced the spring, but I have found another possibility. I've always used PPU brass with this rifle. When I started having the problem, I was trying some S&B brass. I thought I tossed all of it in the trash. I just checked the round I fired this morning. It was S&B. There was 5 or 6 that had gotten mixed in. I tossed them. I've heard that S&B brass can be a little thick, but can it make that kind of difference? BTW, I tried some factory PPU ammo in it earlier, and with the exception of the deep firing pin strike, the primers looked fine.

Tenntrapper

UPDATE... I loaded one round, in PPU brass. I even backed off another grain and a half. Flattened primer again. I remember when I first started reloading (started with this rifle) that when sizing the brass, I couldn't get the brass all the way into the die. It would stop just short of the shell holder. At some point I realized the decaping pin was bottoming out and stopping it. I've got it adjusted properly now. If this is the case, I'm assuming a head spacing issue. I understand I can back the die out a little, or just get a neck sizer (most likely fix). My problem is, I've already sized all of my brass. Do I just load it, and "fire form" again, or what? Thanks

Jcalder

Fireform the brass. If you have a comparator you can measure the difference in a fired case and a sized case and that'll tell you how much play you have in the case.

Tenntrapper

Jcalder":2wo13zop said:
Fireform the brass. If you have a comparator you can measure the difference in a fired case and a sized case and that'll tell you how much play you have in the case.

Thanks for info. I need to get a comparator. I've got them for seating depth, just never got the ones for the shoulder. This reloading stuff is a rabbit hole. Thanks again for your help.

Latest posts