Expandable broadheads

rem270

I thought i had learned my lesson several yrs ago with shooting expandable heads out of my xbow. I bought a used xbow that came with rage and i decided to try them. I noticed that it sounded like they were opening up in flight. So decided to go to fixed. Shot them the rest of the time in that xbow and in a new one i had bought.

Last yr i decided to buy another xbow and decided to try expandable's again. My buddy has the same xbow and said he had great performance out of the Wasp Jak Hammer heads. So i bought some. I sighted my xbow in with a 100 gr field tip and thought i was good to go.

Yesterday i shot at a coyote at about 45 yards. I am comfortable with shooting that far because 40 is my average distance i shoot at with my target. When i shot i noticed a whizzing sound from the broadhead. I missed the yote but couldn't tell if it was over or under or where. After church today i decided to shoot my xbow. First shot at 40 was about 4" low. I thought no big deal i will shoot again and see if it was me. Keep in mind i heard the whizzing again and wasn't to fond of it. Shot again and completely missed the target. Again the sound was loud coming off the BH.

I pulled my fixed blades back out and got it sighted in with them again and am dead on with my first reticle on 40.

Have any of you guys had luck with expandable's? If so what is the secret?

BlountArrow

I shoot expandable in my crossbow, but the box says they're specifically for crossbows. I'm no expert, so maybe that is just a marketing ploy. Either way, I'm shooting NAP killzones and happy with them thus far.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Widowmaker

I went with Grim Reaper's for Xbows this year. They shoot like lasers out of mine. Unfortunately, I haven't tested them on a deer this year.

bigtex

I use 125 gr. Spitfires with my Matrix 380. I've never had one open in flight either while hunting or practice. [knock on wood]

allchokedup

Shoot broadheads made specifically for crossbows. Rage came out with the new Crossbow Rage Hypodermic. They have a new shock collar ( red in color ) and they will not open in flight. Also the NAP Crossbow Killzones and Crossbow Spitfires are another very good broadhead. I'm trying the new NAP DoubleCross and they are shooting fantastic also. NAP use to say there is no difference in the crossbow version broadheads , but they changed that a couple years ago and now the retention clips are much stiffer and hold the blades in very good for their crossbow broadheads. NAP told me, it's not the speed of the bow, but the short power stroke, so they changed the retention clips for crossbows.
There are other very good expandable broadheads for crossbows that work great too.
Good luck.

JeepKuntry

1 deer with a Rage. Hit right where I was aiming. I am looking to switch. Call me cheap but I don't like paying 40-45 bucks for 3 broadheads.

rhinoblake

Thanks for the recommendations. I bought a Xbow with expandable broad heads. First day I used it the blades kept falling off. I kept putting them back on. Put them back together about 5 minutes before a buck walked out. I shot bolt landed 5 foot from me. The bolt broke clean into. All I could figure is the blade hit the xbow or the blade didn't allow me to slide it all the way back. Switching to fixed and may try the recommendations you guys offered.

dhpro

i ran into almost same problem .i went with the wasp drones 100 gr .out to 50 yards can hit a baseball,heading to IL this morning with it today so hopefull get my first drone /crossbow buck

tree_ghost

dhpro":sa6c210b said:
i ran into almost same problem .i went with the wasp drones 100 gr .out to 50 yards can hit a baseball,heading to IL this morning with it today so hopefull get my first drone /crossbow buck

Good luck on the road trip man. I expect we will be reviving updates on the hunt...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TenMileHunter

40541c46c0e6a5a3ba02752b4d1cd827.jpg

This is what I call the Rage slice and dice. 20 yard quarrying shot.

THEdonkey0515

I have used and killed with the wasp jak hammers out of a crossbow more then once with 0 problems... Wasp makes Expendables for Xbows now, but I think they are the same thing just a selling point like many other broadheads due.

It also says on the box if your shooting a fast bow use 2 Orings to make sure they don't open.

SMarshall

So I can use the regular rage hypodermics with my crossbow as long as I change out the shock collars to the crossbow ones?

Latest posts