Food Plots Evolved harvest

Chippy

Anyone ever use evolved harvest products? I don't remember which one I was looking at but it had turnips and clover and a few other options in it. I thought about giving it a try

Chippy

Any mixes that come in a bag with a pretty picture on the sack are going to be 30% more than they should be.

Per acre drilled just use 3/4 sack of wheat, 3lbs clover, 3lbs radishes or turnips. Double that if broadcast.
So it would be cheaper to just buy the seed myself and mix it?

JBell

It will be cheaper. I do plant some "big buck bags". I really like one that I believe is evolved harvest called 7 card stud in the fall. I usually wait till the rush is over then buy what I need and store it till next year. Tractor supply will give it away once planting season is done

JCDEERMAN

So it would be cheaper to just buy the seed myself and mix it?
Much cheaper. A cheap, but good kitchen scale to weigh out lbs of smaller seeds (clovers and brassicas) to mix in with bigger seed (wheat, cereal rye, oats) will get you where you need to be as @megalomaniac mentioned. If you have any leftover, just store in a cool, dry place free of rodents for the following year.

deerhunter10

Any mixes that come in a bag with a pretty picture on the sack are going to be 30% more than they should be.

Per acre drilled just use 3/4 sack of wheat, 3lbs clover, 3lbs radishes or turnips. Double that if broadcast.
Ding ding ding. Most manufacturers arent selling anything special just marketing and in most cases convenience.

DoubleRidge

Last year we used a 100 quart cooler to mix our seed blend's in ...weighed out each seed type that we wanted to use in the blend...mixed it good...then we weighed and bagged the blend....did all this at home....this way as we pulled up to each food plot we knew what each bag weighed and how many bags to use...doing the blending and all your calculations ahead of time will save you time on planting day.

Last edited:

megalomaniac

Last year we used a 100 quart cooler to mix our seed blend's in ...weighed out each seed type that we wanted to use in the blend...mixed it good...then we weighed and bagged the blend....did all this at home....this way as we pulled up to each food plot we knew what each bagged weighed and how many bags to use...doing the blending and all your calculations ahead of time will save you time on planting day.
We do the same thing, except use an empty cow protein feeder tub. I think it's 35 gallons.

BSK

Last year we used a 100 quart cooler to mix our seed blend's in
We do the same thing, except use an empty cow protein feeder tub. I think it's 35 gallons.
Those are great ideas. "Arm-mixing" a couple of hundred pounds of seed when it is already in the big broadcast seeder is a pain in the ass. Or a pain in the arm! I'm digging seed out from under my fingernails for days afterwards!

JCDEERMAN

Those are great ideas. "Arm-mixing" a couple of hundred pounds of seed when it is already in the big broadcast seeder is a pain in the ass. Or a pain in the arm! I'm digging seed out from under my fingernails for days afterwards!
We use a plastic trash can bought specifically for seed mixing. We also have an auger that we use for making dirt sets for trapping coyotes. Just hooks into our dewalt drill and it does a good job mixing. Very easy

Auger Drill Bit for Planting 1.6x16.5inch Extended Length Garden Auger Spiral Drill Bit for Planting Bulbs Flowers Planting Auger for Drill Post Hole Digger for 3/8" Hex Drill https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T7YP6V4/

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

DoubleRidge

We use a plastic trash can bought specifically for seed mixing. We also have an auger that we use for making dirt sets for trapping coyotes. Just hooks into our dewalt drill and it does a good job mixing. Very easy

Auger Drill Bit for Planting 1.6x16.5inch Extended Length Garden Auger Spiral Drill Bit for Planting Bulbs Flowers Planting Auger for Drill Post Hole Digger for 3/8" Hex Drill Amazon product ASIN B07T7YP6V4
What a great idea! I have a auger bit similar to the one shown in link...thanks, I'll try that next time!

deerfever

Anyone ever use evolved harvest products? I don't remember which one I was looking at but it had turnips and clover and a few other options in it. I thought about giving it a try
I believe that's the mega plot , I have bought it on sale at Walmart several times. I have a bag in the shed now. Stuff comes up great ! I buy the pre mixed blends and do certain areas of my plots with them.

redblood

yep. they market convenience. the only exception is year end mark downs on big backs of premixed products- but you will have to consider a lower germination rate for the next yr

BSK

The only time I buy pre-mixed seed blends is when they have something truly unique that I want - something I can't buy generic at the Co-op. One that comes to mind would be Eagle Bean mixtures. Those are truly unique.

Back when I still worked in that part of the industry, the BioLogic blends were truly unique. We were importing those seeds from their producers in New Zealand.

deerhunter10

Back when I still worked in that part of the industry, the BioLogic blends were truly unique. We were importing those seeds from their producers in New ZeZealand.
I listen to their podcast they are suppose to be bringing a new radish in the market this year. I can't remember exactly what they called it but i believe it is from the new Zeeland line as well. That will be interesting. Back before we started mixing our own clover the clover plus and non typical clover were two very good products for us.

Latest posts