Ever had one make you mad at him?

Boll Weevil

I worked one in a river swamp until 2p today. He gobbled exactly 1 time coming in then stayed scarcely outside gun range (like he knew the distance to the yard), and strutted and drummed for over an hour. This turkey's gotta go...he knows too much.

Ever had one make you mad?

Southern Sportsman

I worked one in a river swamp until 2p today. He gobbled exactly 1 time coming in then stayed scarcely outside gun range (like he knew the distance to the yard), and strutted and drummed for over an hour. This turkey's gotta go...he knows too much.

I'm mad at one right now. He beat me Saturday from two different setups. Never had a hen and gobbled good, but he drew his line just out of range and wouldn't compromise. Couldn't hunt Sunday for family/easter obligations and had work stuff today. I'm going back in the morning and hoping he's still around.

A smart man in my position would hunt the turkeys closer to home and easier to reach. But a scorned man would do what I'm doing.

deerfever

This is hilarious, I had one this weekend that stayed just out of range gobbling , strutting putting on a show. He is in a place the I have dubbed " heart attack hill" I absolutely hate climbing that thing but I have my stuff in the truck and going after him in the morning before work! I am glad to see others obsess over a bird that gave you the slip. Lots of easier places to hunt but man there is just something about a wise old Tom like this that makes me stay with him. I will end up climbing that hill and lose 30 pounds this season !

prstide

Got to love swamp birds. I did the same type tango for 3 years with a bird(likely multiple that learned from their kin-turkeys) like that. My buddy finally closed the deal with me calling. I was way more excited than he was to see that bird flopping.

Bgoodman30

I have mixed feelings about "staying after him" . Certainly a challenge but sometimes I wish I had just gone and found another one that was willing. I hunted this bird on public few years back. 12 hunts,the majority of my season , gobbled like a fool and answered most of the time. Somehow never laid eyes on him...

Bgoodman30

I have hunted one bird for 4 years. Will be 5 years this year if he's alive. I believe he is still there again we will see.. Deer hunting is probably the only way and I am just not in to that..

woodsman04

Yes, in a way. To me it's just more of an appreciation of them than being mad, which I think most of you understand.

I like chasing them ones that seem to always be one step ahead, always gobble at everything. And yet you may not ever even put your eyes on them.

gobbler32

Man I stay mad at em and hopefully stay that way until I'm physically unable to get after em but will probably still be mad at em. Lol

Latest posts