Estes Park tips for this week?

TboneD

Yep, flying out tomorrow with my wife to see our Denver girl. Fixing to call a shop or two out there about what to expect in Estes Park but I'd really appreciate if anyone has any tips. Hoping to be able to use my new 4 wt. but might carry a 6 in case I need to streamer fish.

scn

I would for sure take the 6wt. Most of the hatches are pretty much over. You may have some October caddis (orange body) or some little BWOs that will bring them up. Most likely, it will be streamers and nymphs.

For sure check the local shops. They want you to catch some fish while you are in, so they will be the most up to date info for you.

TboneD

Just got off the phone with Kirks Fly Shop there in Estes Park. They said the water in the park is pretty low and so most guides are fishing the Thompson. I might splurge on a guide for half a day. We'll see but I'll have to book it soon if I am. Thanks, guys!

gtk

Staff member

Are you staying in Estes Park? I fished the thompson right in town last sept, and absolutely wore the rainbows/browns out. Nothing big, but still was a blast. Fishing in the park was harder. Those fish seem a lot more wary. If you fish the park pay attention to the signs posted. I belive the meadow may be closed during certain times because of the elk going nutz.

jb3

Bit late to the thread, but I would just try and not run over an elk while driving through downtown. Should be a good time to watch/listen to the bulls each evening. Let us know what was caught. Hope you got to go to the Stanley Hotel and have a drink by the fireplace.

UT-longbeard

Are you staying in Estes Park? I fished the thompson right in town last sept, and absolutely wore the rainbows/browns out. Nothing big, but still was a blast. Fishing in the park was harder. Those fish seem a lot more wary. If you fish the park pay attention to the signs posted. I belive the meadow may be closed during certain times because of the elk going nutz.
My wife and I fished this river last year and had a blast! Wore the trout out!!

TboneD

Just killing lil time and just remembered I never posted about our trip last month.

Fished the Big Thompson below the lake and my guide, the first one I've ever hired, really schooled me on MIDGES and I mean lil bitty ones. Even though the water was a little low, I would've never thought of fishing #26 mole flies on a freestone river but sure enough, they got strikes when I didn't see anyone else catching a thing. Caught mainly small browns and rainbows but my guide taught me a lot, so that was cool.

Hduke86

Just killing lil time and just remembered I never posted about our trip last month.

Fished the Big Thompson below the lake and my guide, the first one I've ever hired, really schooled me on MIDGES and I mean lil bitty ones. Even though the water was a little low, I would've never thought of fishing #26 mole flies on a freestone river but sure enough, they got strikes when I didn't see anyone else catching a thing. Caught mainly small browns and rainbows but my guide taught me a lot, so that was cool.
I just got back yesterday from Estes Park and man ol man the water was freezing up pretty good. Most smaller creeks were iced over

TboneD

I just got back yesterday from Estes Park and man ol man the water was freezing up pretty good. Most smaller creeks were iced over
Not surprised at all. Even in October the weather can get dicey fast out there.

Our daughter lives in Denver and hopefully next year we can visit her in the summer rather than the fall, which is when we've gone ever since she's moved out there. We stayed on the Ark right above Buena Vista three or four years ago and they were still hitting hopper droppers but that's the only other time I've fished out there.

Pilchard

My wife and son are in Vail now. They caught about a dozen trout including one nice rainbow and one nice brown yesterday. My wife said that she couldn't get the hang of the trout set after years of me yelling at her to not lift the rod in saltwater.

Here is my boy with one of the ones he caught:

91105F91-D9D8-4615-988F-42F81FEC180A.jpeg

Buzzard Breath

My wife and son are in Vail now. They caught about a dozen trout including one nice rainbow and one nice brown yesterday. My wife said that she couldn't get the hang of the trout set after years of me yelling at her to not lift the rod in saltwater.

Here is my boy with one of the ones he caught:

View attachment 158402
You might want to let your wife know that she's got a 5 o'clock shadow.

Latest posts