Elk?

Hduke86

The only suggestions I can give you is to do it sooner rather than later. A guide will undoubtedly give you a better chance but also be 5x the price of a diy trip. Look at the states you're interested in and figure out if you want a guide or DIY trip. If guided then just save up your money and decide what kind of accommodations like drop camp, horseback, or staying at a lodge. If DIY find the state you want and start planning backcountry, car camping or even a drop camp. The game out west has definitely changed over the last 10 years but it's still doable if planned out and stick to it.

Madbowh

I'm kicking around the idea of putting an elk hunt together maybe in 2024 or 2025. Where do I start? Thinking guided hunt for the best chance. Any ideas? suggestions? Thank you
What's your budget? Every year I rehash the budget, guided or diy, semi- guided, different states.......

Drop camp/ public, average 2300 per person usually 4 guy min.

private land unguided, around 3500 pp usually 2 guy min. These have so many options. Cabin to stay in, tent, your own camper. They might have 4 wheeler or you bring one, maybe they have a horse for you.

Guided minimum$5000+

Then there's archery, muzzleloader, rifle, you want to draw or otc. You want mountain elk or stalking fields, prairie type of setting.

These prices are what I call average reasonable prices not including tag, gas, food, lodging across multiple states. There's a lot of logistics with these hunts and I see to many guys every year go home and bail on the hunt because of to many different reasons. Worst case for me I'll turn it into a camping trip.

I do drop camp and. after using the same guy a lot I pay $200 per horse I load up and he drops me wherever I want. Comes out about 1200 each way for the horses, rather than $2400 PP. This is very uncommon, I've used this guy repeatedly and he knows I'm staying, I had 2' of snow drop in one night in the rockies and loved it.

gtk

Staff member
Research and Research some more.. I always suggest to have Plan A, B and C.

Bow, Muzzleloader, Rifle ? What State? Do you have any preference points?

First time out, I would suggest either a Guided hunt, Drop Camp, or find somewhere to pay a trespass fee . If not guided, i would try to find someone to go with who has some experience with elk country/hunting

if you are going to go guided, research the guides, ask for references. Also, research success odds. I think in CO the success % is around 15%.

Just go with the expectation that it will be a wonderful experience, and if you happen to get an elk, its just a bonus. Be forewarned though, that hunting anything out west is addictive :)

megalomaniac

What is your expectation? Is this just a once in a lifetime hunt or something you will do several times?

If you just want the experience and killing one isn't critical to your enjoyment, I'd go DIY Colorado public archery either sex with 1 partner. Figure around 10% success if you do your homework, can be done for $1500 all inclusive, so you can do it several years in a row before hitting your $8k limit.

If this is a once in a lifetime hunt and you want to come back with a bull, I'd go fully guided. The problem is that you are limited to around $5000 for the hunt, because you still have to buy tags/ licenses, tip staff/ guide, transportation costs, taxidermy fees... so that eats up all of your 8k. And not having PP built up to draw a public guided hunt (the cheapest, compared to private land guided hunt), you are limited to the states that don't have PPs (like New Mexico). If you are willing to wait several years, you can apply with an outfitter in NM in public units that should have a 3 to 6% chance of drawing and keep it under 5 grand.

I'm not sure you can find a good guided private hunt with guaranteed tags for less than 5 grand.

I went the route of cheap DIY archery. Did it 10 years in a row from 2005 thru 2014. Killed 3 elk in that 10 years, and got better and more efficient each year. I'd still be going, but my partner got too old on me. We viewed it as a glorified hiking trip, so there wasn't any pressure on us and thoroughly enjoyed it.

XCR-2

I'd do a diy Colorado over the counter. The reason being is because it's basically the last state that has otc elk tags and it's not gonna last long. I give it 5 more years and it will be draw also. I've done it and had a blast. Will go back. There's no pressure to kill because you can do it for around 2k or less.

tellico4x4

I've booked lots of hunts thru here. The guy that started this company is Butch Manasse but his son now runs it. Butch & I have hunted several times together, good people. If you get on their email list you'll get monthly updates & can find some real deals like cancellation hunts. Id be real surprised if you couldn't get a northern New Mexico private ranch hunt with landowner voucher within your budget.
CO has more elk & more elk hunters than any other state. You can find some private ranch hunts there as well.
Since your first time I highly recommend the private land route. CO over the counter tags are just about everybody's fall back if they don't draw in other states, therefore extremely crowded.
Bump that budget up 2K & you can do some really good hunts.

ThorThor

To much to type here will send you a pm. Also if you plan on doing this more than once buy WY elk point now. Takes 4 for general tag. The gen WY tag opens up about 75 percent of the state (guess ), also CO DIY on OTC tag sucks for a first time learning curve. Plain and simple, makes a great camping trip unless you get really lucky. I do one sometimes two DIY trips a year on draw tags. My cousin, buddy I put in separately so we get good tags every year between all 9 states or so. All go with if someone draws. Elk hunting is great team sport when one hits the ground 2 miles from the truck or more. Just got back myself last week
868549F0-1A6B-44B8-8FF4-80CF2B2584F3.jpeg

OldFussNFeathers

Stop thinking about it and go. Drove all nite, we about 200 miles from Denver rite now.will be glassing this evening
Currently in Colorado. Got here last Saturday. Area has been in drought conditions for a while. Guess what, it rained 4 straight days and rain/snowed on day 5 🤣. Seen several cows and other members have been on a couple bulls. The bulls are not playing ball at the moment. Good luck!!

Mattt

I'd do a diy Colorado over the counter. The reason being is because it's basically the last state that has otc elk tags and it's not gonna last long. I give it 5 more years and it will be draw also. I've done it and had a blast. Will go back. There's no pressure to kill because you can do it for around 2k or less.
Idaho,Montana and I think Arizona has some otc archery.

Latest posts