Elk outfitter / guide recomendations

BIGROCKREB

Looking for some recomendations for a guide. (And don't tell me to Google it, I have, just looking for some personal experience.)I need a place with a cabin where I can take my wife and daughter {who will be 4} so they can enjoy the scenery while I hunt. Can do own meals. Private property a plus also. Also don't want it to be straight up & down, some easier walking as I have some back problems. (I went one time and if you rolled over in your sleeping bag, you'd roll off the mtn. I got took on that trip, so not looking for a repeat of that}Ease of retrieving game ( by truck or atv a plus)I am looking at Colorado, but am open to suggestions. Of course, I'd like it to be affordable as well. (Not Cheap, affordable). Want to go in November. Colorado season of Nov 1-7..Does anyone know of such a mystical place, or would it be easier to find Bigfoot? Again, just looking for personal experience. Thanks in advance.

BIGROCKREB

Oh ye of little faith!! I found Utopia one time.....I just forgot where I put it...Maybe Bigfoot took it..You just never know. Might know somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody!!!

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
Do you have any preference points built up yet in Co? Some units may only require one point or so to even book with an outfitter. Just a tip.

BIGROCKREB

No points..I have emailed a dozen or so outfitters. I may luck out. One sounds promising. Thanks for the tips.

megalomaniac

Be sure to ask about the tags... if they're 'over the counter' or landowner. Also make sure you find out whether you're hunting on public or private land...

Public land is fine, but be sure you are paying at least $1000 to $1500 less (as he's not having to pay the landowner or you're not having to buy the landowner tag). Also realize that OTC tags on public land with a rifle have much lower success as the bulls have often been pressured onto private lands by then.

Nothing wrong with using an outfitter if you don't have a hunting buddy. Being realistic, there's almost no way for you to find a hunting spot, then find the elk in that hunting spot, and God forbid if you actually kill one, getting the darn thing out of there can be next to impossible without help.

Two years ago my buddy and I hunted a spot on foot where we went so far and so high in, that we agreed we would not be able to get an elk out if we killed one... we both agreed to split the cost of renting a guy with horses to get one out if we got lucky in that spot. Didn't get one, but did have a 300" 6x6 bull at 17 yards for 3 or 4 minutes. Darn thing was quartering towards me and never turned broadside to get an arrow in the vitals.

Oh, one more thing... the mule deer are dying like flies in Colorado due to the extreme snows they've had this winter. The elk will probably be affected as well (but hopefully to a lesser extent). Make sure your outfitter realizes this and adjusts his usual hunting strategies accordingly...

skynimrod

megalomaniac said:
Be sure to ask about the tags... if they're 'over the counter' or landowner. Also make sure you find out whether you're hunting on public or private land...

Public land is fine, but be sure you are paying at least $1000 to $1500 less (as he's not having to pay the landowner or you're not having to buy the landowner tag). Also realize that OTC tags on public land with a rifle have much lower success as the bulls have often been pressured onto private lands by then.

Nothing wrong with using an outfitter if you don't have a hunting buddy. Being realistic, there's almost no way for you to find a hunting spot, then find the elk in that hunting spot, and God forbid if you actually kill one, getting the darn thing out of there can be next to impossible without help.

Two years ago my buddy and I hunted a spot on foot where we went so far and so high in, that we agreed we would not be able to get an elk out if we killed one... we both agreed to split the cost of renting a guy with horses to get one out if we got lucky in that spot. Didn't get one, but did have a 300" 6x6 bull at 17 yards for 3 or 4 minutes. Darn thing was quartering towards me and never turned broadside to get an arrow in the vitals.

Oh, one more thing... the mule deer are dying like flies in Colorado due to the extreme snows they've had this winter. The elk will probably be affected as well (but hopefully to a lesser extent). Make sure your outfitter realizes this and adjusts his usual hunting strategies accordingly...

Good info!
I think there might be quite a bit of winter kill out west this winter

HUNTTNKY

skynimrod said:
megalomaniac said:

Good info!
I think there might be quite a bit of winter kill out west this winter

We're going with Tenderfoot Outfitters this year. You might contact them. http://www.tenderfoot-outfitters.com/

We talked with them yesterday, the DOW is conducting a feeding program, mainly for the deer, but putting out feed for the Elk to deter them from the deer feeding locations and keep them out of ranchers hay. They indicated deer are affected by the snow, but Elk generally are not impacted.

Also, check out: http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ A wealth of info on there.

Latest posts