Food Plots Electric Backpack Sprayer

Sellis26

What size plot in square feet can you reasonably blanket spray and efficiently kill everything with an electric backpack sprayer? Would be spraying glyphosate.

Would 10k square feet be the max? That's 100'x100'

How long would you expect it to take?

Thanks

Last edited:

TN Song Dog

10k sqft is doable. Might could go bigger, depending on what you want.

Common coverage is 1gal of mixed solution per 1,000 sqft. If the sprayer holds 4gal, then 10k sqft would take 2.5 backpacks' full. If the pump rate is 0.25gpm (verify this), it will take about 4 min to cover 1000sqft with 1 gal and 16min to spray the backpack full.

Would help if you could visually grid it off into smaller squares. Battery power will help the consistency, also.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I have never used an electric backpack sprayer or tried to spray large areas with any backpack sprayer but a few things stand out as needing attention here.
1. You might want to adjust your mix ratio considering most ratios are based on either 10 or 20 gallons of solution per acre. An acre is 43,560 square feet. At 1000 sq ft per fill up that's a lot of chemicals
2. Buy the absolute most professional quality sprayer you can find! Those are by and large designed for lawn maintenance, edging and spot spraying. Continued extended use may not be in the design. Battery life would also be a consideration if spraying a lot, take extras or an inverter and charger.
3. Personal protection!! If spraying a large area it can become impossible to not be in the drift or wading thru stuff already sprayed. Nobody likes being soaked in weed killer.
4. Water reservoir!

I suggest doing a practice run on a driveway with water to learn how to maximize coverage while not being wasteful and to know about how far your gonna get on a fill up. You don't have to saturate the weeds but you do have to get it on the leaves that are in a growth stage.

Chaneylake

Common coverage is 1gal of mixed solution per 1,000 sqft. If the sprayer holds 4gal, then 10k sqft would take 2.5 backpacks' full. If the pump rate is 0.25gpm (verify this), it will take about 4 min to cover 1000sqft with 1 gal and 16min to spray the backpack full.

Would help if you could visually grid it off into smaller squares. Battery power will help the consistency, also.
Common coverage in my area 32 ounces gly 4 in 10 gallons of water per acre coverage

Sellis26

Using a Surfactant and Lazser Blue will increase the efficiency of your spray and time spent. The surfactant will make the spray stick better. The Lazser Blue actually lets you see how much you are spraying and where you are spraying. No missed spots.
Glad to know 10k is doable. I hope it's as fast as you're thinking! I'm willing to buy whatever electric pack sprayer I need not worried about price as it will get tons of use.

I am also going to use the dye and surfactant as mentioned!

Thanks for the advice!

Which backpack sprayer would you recommend if you had your choice of any on the market?

Sellis26

I was thinking the Milwaukee switch tank so I could pre mix a tank or two extra and take off then when I ran out just put the new one on and keep going.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Glad to know 10k is doable. I hope it's as fast as you're thinking! I'm willing to buy whatever electric pack sprayer I need not worried about price as it will get tons of use.

I am also going to use the dye and surfactant as mentioned!

Thanks for the advice!

Which backpack sprayer would you recommend if you had your choice of any on the market?
Chapin
I was thinking the Milwaukee switch tank so I could pre mix a tank or two extra and take off then when I ran out just put the new one on and keep going.
Sounds like a good plan. Chapin is a well established brand of all kinds of sprayers. They have a 24V electric. You may want to check how many tanks you can get to a charge on the Milwaukee. Keeping the sprayer cleaned and the battery charged between uses is important for long life with any Brand.