Eating one U.S. fish likened to drinking month's worth of tainted water.

rsimms

Yes! It is fear-mongering. I believe that for every study which says "the sky is falling," there are other studies that say the opposite, but they don't get reported. For instance, fish from Watts Bar Lake have some of the most stringent "Health Advisories" of any body of water in TN (due to proximity to Oak Ridge). Basically it says, "Don't eat any fish from Watts Bar Lake." This link is a study by the U.S. Dept. of Health (https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/sites/oakridge/watts_bar.html) in which they tracked the health of hundreds of "moderate to high level" fish consumers from Watts Bar. One of the primary conclusions, "Only one participant in the exposure investigation had a total blood mercury level higher than 10 mcg/L (considered to be elevated). The remaining participants had mercury blood levels that ranged up to 10 mcg/L, as might be expected to be found in the general population." Some of you know I spent 30 years in the news business. I've been out for 8 years. I now firmly believe that the news business, as an institution, is 100% guilty of fear-mongering, simply because they know what we'll watch it or click on it. I am somewhat guilt-ridden because I was part of it. Of all the "Disease DeJour's" I've seen in my decades, COVID is the only "Disease DeJour" which actually proved to be as bad as the fear mongers made it out to be. The others are mostly click bait. I am climbing down from my Soap Box now.

WTM

lol, i prolly wouldnt eat anything from mckellar lake or around some of the metro areas. methyl mercury doesnt really concern me. id be a little more worried about pcb and chlordane but still not that much. youd have to eat a shat load of big fatty fish more than likely. but then again, eat the smaller fish and not worry about it.

gasman

lol, i prolly wouldnt eat anything from mckellar lake or around some of the metro areas. methyl mercury doesnt really concern me. id be a little more worried about pcb and chlordane but still not that much. youd have to eat a shat load of big fatty fish more than likely. but then again, eat the smaller fish and not worry about it.
But I don't catch small fish like @RUGER does.

killingtime 41

most all the lakes and rivers in northeast TN has a warning to not eat. Or to not eat but 1 a month. Not one fish fry a month but 1 fish equals 2 fillets. I eat fish all I can and will continue. Eastman chemical company has had lots of spills over the years. They are right on the Holston river bank. Nasty chemicals at that. Most all fish I eat are from the lakes. Even though lakes are of course fed by rivers oh well. I can't stand store bought catfish nuggets.so gotta catch those and crappie.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
When I see the signs " Fish Not Safe For Consumption By Pregnant Women and Young Children " Like how do the tainted fish know they are supposed to stay in that Bay ? Does Cleaner water automatically clean them out when they go somewhere else ??

Setterman

Absolute garbage article in my opinion and trash science used to make their points. Granted I kill basically no fish from here and basically eat no fish from here. Not because I have issues with either but more I'm lazy and don't feel like cleaning fish.

sure fish can carry contaminants, but those same contaminants are in our water we drink etc.

A better focus would be on fast food, soft drinks, and lack of exercise. Those 3 things are of far more concern than whatever our fish might be carrying.

It's also a way for the whacko left to shove their climate and environmental agenda down our throats. Using fear as a method this time.

Setterman

Agree totally.

Interestingly, they show a fish pic of a brook trout,
insinuating that's the fish you shouldn't eat!
Dang it you're right hahahahaha. Not only a brook trout but based on its vibrant color. It's likely from a high elevation stream that is probably almost as pure a water source as you can find. Idiots running this country and writing this drivel

Latest posts