Easy Trigger Job

david k.

I sighted in the FF3 on my new Mossberg Bantam 500 20 gauge a couple of weeks ago and it was clear that the trigger on it paled in comparison to the triggers in my Mossy 935 and my 20 gauge 870 youth, both of which I had installed the spring kit from M-Carbo.

If you haven't done this for your turkey gun, I would highly recommend it if M-Carbo offers a kit for your shotgun.

I put the trigger kit in the 500 this morning and, no joke, it took me longer to get the kitchen counter set up as a workbench and then returned back to normal than it did to install the kit. The trigger pull went from about 5.5 pounds with the stock springs to about 3.75 pounds with the M-Carbo spring kit....very nice....

I'll sneak out and shoot a shell or 2 just to assure functionality and that there is no change in POI this weekend and will be ready for MS opener on Friday!

sharpshooter

I sighted in the FF3 on my new Mossberg Bantam 500 20 gauge a couple of weeks ago and it was clear that the trigger on it paled in comparison to the triggers in my Mossy 935 and my 20 gauge 870 youth, both of which I had installed the spring kit from M-Carbo.

If you haven't done this for your turkey gun, I would highly recommend it if M-Carbo offers a kit for your shotgun.

I put the trigger kit in the 500 this morning and, no joke, it took me longer to get the kitchen counter set up as a workbench and then returned back to normal than it did to install the kit. The trigger pull went from about 5.5 pounds with the stock springs to about 3.75 pounds with the M-Carbo spring kit....very nice....

I'll sneak out and shoot a shell or 2 just to assure functionality and that there is no change in POI this weekend and will be ready for MS opener on Friday!
Is this the one you used and any special tools required, other than a punch and hammer?

Last edited:

david k.

Is this the one you used and any special tools required, other than a punch and hammer?
Yes, they also suggest a little wooden dowel tool that compresses the main spring which I bought too. I think that dowel was $1.50 or so.

david k.

This is the tool...watch the video and you'll see how they use it.

david k.

I just placed an order. Thanks for the info.
I watched the video a couple of times first and then kept my laptop handy while I was working on it so I could watch and follow along while I took it apart and put it back together. I'd just pause and rewind if I wasn't certain.

As far as tools, I only used a punch, a small hammer and a little flat screwdriver to help move a couple of the tiny parts into the correct position.

The video is spot on....they show this in the video but one of the pins comes out and back in only in one direction...its bigger on one side than the other...when putting that pin back in, I had missed the part about using the punch to tap that pin in to make it flush with the trigger housing...without tapping it in flush I couldn't get the trigger housing back into the receiver...it took me a minute to figure that out....

Last edited:

CHRIS WILSON

I installed the MCarbo kit on my Mossberg/Maverick turkey setup last season. It took the trigger from right at 6 pounds down to just a hair over 4 pounds. For the money spent, it makes a really nice difference in the trigger.

Carlos

I'm not sure it would benefit me specifically- as I've used the same ole trigger in the 835 for years.

Latest posts