East Tn MTN Deer?

coontracker49

Where are all the East Tn MTN deer the past 2 years I have been all over Bumpass Cove Dry creek Paint creek Unaka Mtns and I have seen nothing is anyone else having this problem? Is there any mountains showing deer

coontracker49

I havent even seen a deer track where I have been spoke to a guy while huntin today he said he hadnt seen any tracks poo or nothing

Hill Country Thanks for the hello and the welcome I think I am going to love it here

Hill Country Hunter

Don't shoot the messenger, but just so you know, the TnDeer admin sent a crew up there to run all the deer off the mountains and over toward middle Tennessee. So, I can understand why you are a little mad. We hope you'll stick around, though. :grin:

coontracker49

Shoot The way huntin has been Im sure you could do a deer drive and still come up empty handed about to pack up and head to Indiana to kill a deer thing is IDC if its small or big im a food hunter not a trophy hunter be nice to get both but I would settle for anything with horns now I spoke to a warden today he said the food source is high so they arent moving like normally but I have found food and water thickets everything they would need and not one single track scrape rub nothing

BluegrassDan

Buddy of mine killed a 6 pointer up near Roan Mountain last week. I killed a four pointer opening day of muzzleloader in Carter County way up high in the mountains.

What I've noticed this week is that they're staying near food sources in thickets and not moving far from them. Gotta get around the thick stuff and hope that one peeks it's head out for a shot.

I have noticed the deer population seems slightly down in my hunting areas this year. Fewer on cam, fewer tracks, and zero rubs. Time to kill some coyotes.

coontracker49

I started to come up to carter co today but decided to stay around here since idk where im going up that way besides one spot in johnson co by the lake

coontracker49

I think I may give paint creek another try if I can figure out whats tn and nc I was looking at my garmin and once you get to the top the road that goes to the right says your in tn the whole time but I dont need to get busted for hunting in nc with tn lic...

I was told to go to Camp Creek but I have no idea how to get there or what its like im about to pull out the 3030 and start thicket jumping

7mminatree

East Tn. Mountains are tough to hunt and a tough place for deer to live as well. I can't say I've had the same problem as you. It's been a decent year for myself and the friends I hunt with as all of us have only one tag left to fill. We have a saying that "80 percent of the deer will be on 20 percent of the land". This is a good rule of thumb to use especially in the Cherokee NF. You just haven't found that 20 percent spot yet. Sometimes you just have to slow down and stay put in an area. If you have fresh sign, they are there. Bumpass Cove has more bear than deer, and the deer can be skiddish because of the high bear population. Try hunting areas with a lot of turkey sign. Because if the turkeys are there so are the deer.

Unicam

Hill Country Hunter said:
Don't shoot the messenger, but just so you know, the TnDeer admin sent a crew up there to run all the deer off the mountains and over toward middle Tennessee. So, I can understand why you are a little mad. We hope you'll stick around, though. :grin:

RUGER made me do it! :D

coontracker49

Lmao Unicam

Guys I havent even found any turkey sign other than one spot I have not seen a deer track one seen plenty of bear sign and yote tracks though if my neighbors would let me hunt I would be tagged out with bucks and does left to spare

coontracker49

I love some rabbit dogs when i rabbit hunted I carried a slug with me just incase we jumped one up but we never did.. Had someone elses rabbit dogs run a buck plum over top of me a few years ago though I didnt even have time to blink the dogs came up to me as I was sitting there and I petted them up like they were mine thinking to myself go get another one lol

coontracker49

Does anyone know where holston mountain is I was just told about it and would be interested in checking it out but the directions I recieved was poor at its best

BluegrassDan

Holston Mountain is on the boarder of Carter and Sullivan Counties. Several ways to access it either by the eastern Stoney Creek side or the western side by Cherokee WMA roads. Holton is quite vast and deer numbers are low, although I know of some people who have taken some deer from up on top near the tv and cell phone towers.

coontracker49

im not big on going to new places and when someone tells me they see alot of deer somewhere im not the type to go to that area and start huntin takes the agravating and work part out of it I would like to find new wma spots in carter and johnson just to try them

Latest posts