Duck Newbie Questions

BigRod

Me and some long time buddies always wanted to get into duck hunting. We all live here in East Tennessee. I know all the lakes like the back of my hand here in the eastern part of the state. What do you guys recamend for some newbies? What kind of calls do we need? How many decoys? Shells, I shoot a Bennilli Super Nova and a Moss 835. I know about waders and we all have those. I'm not asking for honey holes here, but which direction would one look for ducks? I live on Mellton Hill and have heard folks say theres a few there.

What is the flyways? Is this when they fly down from the North? Whats the best weather to hunt? Cand one set up temp blinds on any of the lakes around here? There's just so much I don't know. Any and all help would be great.

Thanks Rodney

Waterfowler22

Calls: I would start out with getting a 30 dollar echo timber call, they are hard to be and sounds just like a ol hen mallard.. Decoys: it depends on how big your hole is or how many ducks are using that hole, like if you scout a spot and there are 60 or 70 mallards and gadwalls sitting in that spot then put out 30 decoys or so not a hundred. Shells: depends on how much money you want to spend on a box of shells.. Places: look for little coves or sloughs and backwater, going to take a lot of riddin around to find holes.. Best weather: those cold days when cold fronts are coming thou and you wanna be at home in bed.. Hope that help any, good luck out there be safe , hope to see pics of lots of dead ducks

Goose Thumper

Also check out primos wenches. I have been using a timber wench for 12 years now and love it. Runs about $15. Decoys: just depends on where your hunting, if i was goin with under 3 dozen decoys id spend money on quality such as g&h. Shells id shoot whatever your prefer. I like xperts 3 inch for my 12 gauge cause they pattern the best.

redheadshooter

I would check out Brothers-In-Arms Game Calls. They sound great and a portion of each call sold goes to charities that support veterans. I will be blowing one this year. Scout out the afternoon before and see where the ducks are wanting to land and hunt there the next morning. I know it is easier said than done but thats the way to truely pattern the ducks. I use redhead decoys and like them just fine (cheaper than everyother brand). I would start with 2 or 3 dozen Mallards then throw in some confidence decoys like teal or gadwalls. Most other hunters will not have these out so your set up will look different and more appealing. PM me if you have any questions.

rukiddin

Here is my suggestion. If your new to duck hunting, then find you a good guide in west TN or Ark. See how its suspposed to be done first. Good calling, decoy placement, when to shoot'em (aka no skybusting) and what somewhere that actually has ducks looks like! After you do that, you will say to hell with duck hunting in East TN and you will save yourself a lot of money and miles by doing that. I used to be all about it. I'd scout every morning and hunt several times a week. Finally I realized its just not worth it if you live here. I go out to west TN a couple times a year and hunt private leases in NC around the holidays and still save money vs, when I was gung ho about i hunting 45+ days/season. Other than the occasional teal/woodduck opener, I don't waste my time here.

I'm not saying you cant kill ducks in East TN. You can if you get the right weather and all the stars align just right. But honestly, I did'nt invest in decoys, boat, and $$$$ in gas scouting just to shoot a woodduck or a mallard or a couple geese.

gondo

rukiddin? said:
Here is my suggestion. If your new to duck hunting, then find you a good guide in west TN or Ark. See how its suspposed to be done first. Good calling, decoy placement, when to shoot'em (aka no skybusting) and what somewhere that actually has ducks looks like! After you do that, you will say to hell with duck hunting in East TN and you will save yourself a lot of money and miles by doing that. I used to be all about it. I'd scout every morning and hunt several times a week. Finally I realized its just not worth it if you live here. I go out to west TN a couple times a year and hunt private leases in NC around the holidays and still save money vs, when I was gung ho about i hunting 45+ days/season. Other than the occasional teal/woodduck opener, I don't waste my time here.

I'm not saying you cant kill ducks in East TN. You can if you get the right weather and all the stars align just right. But honestly, I did'nt invest in decoys, boat, and $$$$ in gas scouting just to shoot a woodduck or a mallard or a couple geese.
this is pretty much all correct and exactly what i do except i still hunt in middle TN as many days as possible that i cant be to the west.... guess i havent got beat down enough...

Latest posts