Dove opener outlook

Snickerz27

I will be out there waiting at about 10:30am. I have seen some good numbers but not as many as in past years. I still think it will be a good shoot. Even if it isnt, I will still enjoy being out there with my family doing a lot of BSing! I will be hunting in the Eastern part of the state, Jefferson Co.

Spike

I will be in beautiful Ramer Tn in McNairy county. We are not expecting alot but will have a good time. Thank God Hunting season is upon us. Time to kill it and grill it.

8pointbetter

i will be in eagleville or lawrenceburg don't know yet still waiting on bird sightings only second year to do it can't wait

mike243

good ? if they are of age to have them i think they do,i would ask a gamewarden in the area your going to hunt,hope they get to go & youall have lots of birds,mike243

VolDoug

I will be in eastern/middle TN sitting in a field owned by a Mennonite. We have hunted either his place or his brother's place for at least 15 years. Have rarely had a poor shoot, and have had some barrel-melters.

An overcast day would be perfect. If not, it may be a little later before they fly!

Good luck everybody, and be safe!

kholmes

There have been an absoulute ton of birds around Jackson. The surrounding corn fields have been cut for about 10 days now and every powerline is loaded. It should be a banner day today.

VolDoug

tnfisherman said:
is it legal to take 2 youths on the dove hunt along side me while i hunt?

Will they be hunting? I see they are 14. If they "participate" in the hunt, shoot, pick up birds, carry a stool, etc., they will each need a license if they have taken the hunter safety course. If they haven't taken the course, they can get the apprentice license.

Junior Hunt/Fish/Trap (Type 002) $8
Ages 13-15. Good for hunting all game, fishing, and trapping. Must be purchased prior to 16th birthday. No supplemental licenses are required, but special season and WMA permits will need to be purchased in addition to this license.

APPRENTICE HUNTING LICENSE (TYPE 012) $11
This license is in lieu of a hunter education certificate. All other applicable licenses are required. This license is available to all hunters 10 years of age or older who have not completed the mandatory hunter education course. It exempts the hunter from
the mandatory hunter education law until the end of the license
year but may only be purchased once during the lifetime of the
hunter. Hunters who possess this license must be accompanied
by an adult, 21 years of age or older, who must meet the hunter
education requirements and is able to take immediate control of
the hunting device.

spitndrum

My first Dove hunt and I killed 2 and rack em up killed 3 not bad for em cranking up about an hour before I left!!!! ;)

Picture127.jpg
[/img]

Colonel Reb

The birds I was shooting were very young. Some of them so small they almost weren't worth cleaning, though I did anyway.

VolDoug

Colonel Reb said:
The birds I was shooting were very young. Some of them so small they almost weren't worth cleaning, though I did anyway.

I had several young birds also. About half and half I'd say.

My dad & I each got our second limits this morning.

Darkthirty II

Everyone I was with picked up a limit on Saturday, the only day I hunted. Did have a first though. We had only been there about 45 minutes and my buddy killed a blonde dove. It was'nt white, but it definately was not gray. He was bigger than the others, but smaller than a pigeon, and did not look like a pigeon. Completely blonde, real pretty too, and definately different.

gil1

I think I recall reading that most doves don't even live to see their 2nd birthday. Probably more than half of them are "yearlings."