Dove opener limit...pic

redblood

Of squirrels of course. Had a great hunt this morning. Took the cz out for its first hunt of the year. Hit a spot of dense woods that typically hold great numbers, but i often find myself avoiding due to its dense understory that can make recovery problematic. Felt good when squirrel 3 was baptized in the small creek that snakes through this parcel at 6:20. Decided to take a seat and watch the suns first rays light up this forgotten block of timber, assuring myself that an early limit was imminent. The squirrels thought otherwise and squirrel 4 wouldn't find the forest floor until 730. Pick up squirrel 5 shortly thereafter. Had my doubts that a limit was in the works until i grounded a trio.. resting off the same old cedar post, capped by long shot on an old weathered fox squirrel. Decided i'd loop back to my starting point and picked up 9 and 10 on the way. ended up with 9 grays and a 1 fox. 8 males and 2 females (yeah i know, i shot more girls to balance the ratio). went 10 for 13 with 2 finishers and one miss. Thankfully all squirrels that were hit, made the trip home with me. Failed to mark squirrel 9 and spend an extra 15 minutes locating....rookie mistake. Limit was complete at 8:20. I still haven't hunted my 3 favorite spots but plan to change that this week.

Atchman2

How very cool! I've GOT to get out in the woods. Been shooting squirrels in the area behind my house which is loaded with them. However, they are a little tame and not much of a challenge. Still they eat the same. :)

redblood

Atchman2":2scscvll said:
How very cool! I've GOT to get out in the woods. Been shooting squirrels in the area behind my house which is loaded with them. However, they are a little tame and not much of a challenge. Still they eat the same. :)

got after em. the hunting has been great and should continue to improve for the next month

Latest posts