dove hunting date changes

BigGameGuy

As you know, migratory bird seasons are regulated by the USFWS so we are at the mercy of them. Having said that, it appears we may be getting more dove days added to our season. I forget how many but I believe it's around 14 more days.

Hawk

BigGameGuy said:
As you know, migratory bird seasons are regulated by the USFWS so we are at the mercy of them. Having said that, it appears we may be getting more dove days added to our season. I forget how many but I believe it's around 14 more days.

At the mercy of USFWS as to the number of days but the season opening date is determined at the state level. (TWRA/TWC)

Several years ago an effort was made to standardize the dove season opening date as the other seasons dates are. Instead of the traditional September 1 opening it was proposed to be the first Saturday in September. The opposition shown by hunters was so great at the TWC meeting that no change was made.

Chaneylake

Hawk said:
BigGameGuy said:

At the mercy of USFWS as to the number of days but the season opening date is determined at the state level. (TWRA/TWC)

Several years ago an effort was made to standardize the dove season opening date as the other seasons dates are. Instead of the traditional September 1 opening it was proposed to be the first Saturday in September. The opposition shown by hunters was so great at the TWC meeting that no change was made.

correct Hawk, the best argument against opening the 1st Saturday in September is the number of days missed from Sept 1 until the 1st Saturday especially if this were factored over a 10 year span

Chaneylake

BigGameGuy said:

if the 14 or so days are added, what is the discussion on the actual dates?

can you also post the USRWS earliest open date, latest closing date and maximum number of days allowed between these dates?

Latest posts