Dove field help

Cache

2-Step Enabled
Buddy and I have decided to prep a spot on his farm for doves. He just had 30 acres cleared and it's nothing but bare dirt. We were thinking about throwing some type of seed a couple weeks before season.

Anyone ever done this? We were thinking winter wheat and per Alabama regs we can put down 200lbs/acre. How many days prior to season should we put it down? Any other tips?

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
When to put it down kind of depends on the weather. Ideally you want to put it out as long as you can without it sprouting.

Grnwing

What
When to put it down kind of depends on the weather. Ideally you want to put it out as long as you can without it sprouting.
Yes what TnKen said, watch the weather closely and plant as far in advance as possible. Lots of doves get killed that way.

Cache

2-Step Enabled
We were thinking 2 weeks prior but watching the weather makes sense. Is there a minimum acreage y'all would do?

Last edited:

4scout

I've read and heard that buckwheat matures in 60 days and doves really like it. Could you plant several acres of buckwheat now and let it mature and then bushhog it to hunt over in 60 days? Also, maybe 2 weeks before the opener spread wheat to hunt over before the buckwheat is ready to bushhog. That way you'll be able to have several hunts. Just a thought..

Cache

2-Step Enabled
I've read and heard that buckwheat matures in 60 days and doves really like it. Could you plant several acres of buckwheat now and let it mature and then bushhog it to hunt over in 60 days? Also, maybe 2 weeks before the opener spread wheat to hunt over before the buckwheat is ready to bushhog. That way you'll be able to have several hunts. Just a thought..
I'll look that up for next year. Think we're about 45 days out from opener and we kinda came up with the idea last minute.

scn

Spreading wheat into a crop of buckwheat would not be legal.

scn

One possibility is using a drop spreader and planting in strips or half the field at different times. A broadcast seeder would not work because you would end up having fresh seed go into already planted ground and would have a double seeding issue.

But, the safest (legally) is to plant it and hope it doesn't rain to cause the wheat to sprout.

Last edited:

Cache

2-Step Enabled
One possibility is using a drop spreader and planting in strips or half the field at different times. A broadcast seeder would not work because you would end up having fresh seed go into already planted ground and would have a double seeding issue.

But, the safest (legally) is to plant it and hope it doesn't rain to cause the wheat to sprout.
That's a good idea. We had talked about doing 4-5 acres. Maybe do half 2 weeks prior and the other half a week prior.

4scout

Spreading wheat into a crop of buckwheat would not be legal.
I should have been more clear. I was meaning plant buckwheat and wheat in 2 different areas of the field, possibly next to each other just like MickThompson mentioned. Definitely not spreading wheat into the buckwheat.

Headhunter

That would work. Just make sure you leave a little bare buffer zone between the plantings so there are no questions about double planting.
I sowed winter wheat in a field for several years. Sowed it a 1/3 at a time, approx. 2 weeks before and and the other 2/3 2 weeks to 4 weeks after a 1/3 at a time. Was checked every year, actually requested it. I never left a "bare buffer zone" and never had an issue. Just be sure to not sow an area twice. If you want to have several shoots, shut the field down at 5 pm or so and don't hunt it every day. Every year we had several great "killings", if someone didn't kill a limit, it was because they couldn't hit, sure wasn't for lack of dove. That spot was "gold" though, one of those rare places that the dove wanted to be there, food or not. It sold, the 2+ million dollar price tag was more than we could pay.

Cache

2-Step Enabled
I sowed winter wheat in a field for several years. Sowed it a 1/3 at a time, approx. 2 weeks before and and the other 2/3 2 weeks to 4 weeks after a 1/3 at a time. Was checked every year, actually requested it. I never left a "bare buffer zone" and never had an issue. Just be sure to not sow an area twice. If you want to have several shoots, shut the field down at 5 pm or so and don't hunt it every day. Every year we had several great "killings", if someone didn't kill a limit, it was because they couldn't hit, sure wasn't for lack of dove. That spot was "gold" though, one of those rare places that the dove wanted to be there, food or not. It sold, the 2+ million dollar price tag was more than we could pay.
I think we've decided to do something along those lines. Will do half 2-3 weeks prior and the other half a week prior.

JBell

I always plant cracked corn once a week starting in July. It never sprouts so they can't say you over seeded numerous times. And the dove love it. Also if you put out rock salt, the dove will be seasoned when you shoot them

Bgoodman30

This! The best hunt I go to every year is done this way.