Does choke effect recoil?

mike243

ported reduces it more than the choke,the choke would have the least affect on kick,i have a hastings 640 & it kicks but no worse the the 670,let me refraze that,with low brass.i havent shot the 670 with high,i have shot both with low brass dove loads,mike243

TheLBLman

You guys have made some valid points regarding recoil, such as the weight of the gun being perhaps the most important single one.

However, there are circumstances where a 1 oz. load in a lightweight gun kicks less than a 2 oz. load in a heavier gun.

My original question was meant in an apples-to-apples comparison of chokes, assuming all other factors were same.

Let me re-phrase it.

If we take a particular single shotgun, and screw in a non-ported turkey choke, will there be more felt recoil compared to a non-ported "modified" choke, using the same loads, in that same gun?

4onaside

Is this a trick question? lol
The more difficulty that gas has in escaping the barrel, the greater the reverse reaction(recoil). And, of course, the tighter the choke the greater difficulty that it has. Therefore, "felt" recoil should be more noticable in the tighter choked barrel.

4onaside

Wes Parrish said:
4onaside said:
Is this a trick question? lol
Not a trick question at all.
In fact, your thoughts and mine are the same.
I've just not heard anyone speak about there being more recoil when you go to a tighter choke, although I have "felt" that there was. :)
When I asked was it a "trick question", It was a leg pull, because I thought the physics of it to be pretty basic stuff. If we restricted the barrel(choke) of a 12 down to a 20, you would flat notice the "felt recoil"! lol

jackscreek

My 870 Remington 3.5 Mag, shooting #4s with a Hastings .640 choke, knocks me down and stomps me every shot! :grin: I have tears in my eyes after 2 shots, but why complain? :grin: Since I hopefully will only take 4-5 shots in a season, with no more than one in a day, I can deal with the pain! :grin:

Asaltwpn1

Here's one for you. My brother (the Henderson Co Redneck)lol shoots his 12 g moss with 3" with no prob. Well he forgot about turkey choke and slid a slug in there!!! He weighs 275 and says he couldn't hold on to the recoil of the gun. It came out of his hands. He later figured out what he did. He's lucky to still be around with that bonehead move.

TennTurkeyHunter

Its all in the ported choke tube. I have an 835 3.5 that will shake you. I took out the factory choke tube and replaced it with a comp-n-choke that is ported. I can tell that it helps a litte.

Yes, a ported choke tube does help recoil.

4onaside

jackscreek said:
My 870 Remington 3.5 Mag, shooting #4s with a Hastings .640 choke, knocks me down and stomps me every shot! :grin: I have tears in my eyes after 2 shots, but why complain? :grin: Since I hopefully will only take 4-5 shots in a season, with no more than one in a day, I can deal with the pain! :grin:
Can you imagine trying to pattern it with multiple consecutive shots at paper?! When I was younger, probably a lot tougher, and I know A LOT DUMBER, I once shot an 870, with a 20" cylinder bore barrel 18 times from a bench with slugs. Every time that I shot, the recoil was so severe that it would automatically open the bolt without any conscious move on my part to do so. No wonder that I was having trouble sighting it in, with the tears in my eyes. lol

DBLAARCHERY

4onaside said:
jackscreek said:
Can you imagine trying to pattern it with multiple consecutive shots at paper?! When I was younger, probably a lot tougher, and I know A LOT DUMBER, I once shot an 870, with a 20" cylinder bore barrel 18 times from a bench with slugs. Every time that I shot, the recoil was so severe that it would automatically open the bolt without any conscious move on my part to do so. No wonder that I was having trouble sighting it in, with the tears in my eyes. lol
Mine was a 10 gauge My grandpa told me wouldn't hurt...

cruff10

My Benille Nova kicked like a mule. The best investment I had ever had for the recoil is the Limb Savers fitted buttpad for the stock. I can shoot 3 1/2 inch shells and fills like a high brass 2 3/4 shell. It is amazing stuff!!!!

Latest posts