Do you weigh your reloaded cartridges?

Model70Man

Was reloading some 270 Win and decided to weigh the ammo. I found it interesting that out of 18 cartidges, there were 3 distinctive groups. 10 weighed basically the same, 5 were 10 grains heavier, and 3 were 12 grains heavier. All of the ammo in each group was within .5 of a grain for that particular group. All of the headstamps were Hornady, except for 2 which were Winchester. The 2 Winchester headstamps were in the group of 10.

Have you weighed your reloaded ammo and noticed any variation in weights?

Chaneylake

plenty of variation due to hull wall thickness, I usually separate my .40-65 brass into 3 groups after cleaning

to me this is more important in trying to develop a match grade cartridge for my .40-65 since I can have no air space left in the brass

my cast boolits are within 0.2 of a grain each
each charge of black powder is weighed on beam scale

mr.big

after I get my dump set I might weigh ever 10th charge,,

I done some extensive tests with a super accurate 308 about 10 years ago and could not see any difference.

W C

If you don't weigh and sort the empty brass before you load it you're missing the first step in the desired outcome.

Chaneylake

W C said:
If you don't weigh and sort the empty brass before you load it you're missing the first step in the desired outcome.

I weighted 10 of my .40-65's today, the lightest loaded cartridge was 676.2 grains, the heaviest was 676.7 grains

most of the variation is in the empty brass

KPH

Cannylake that is real good for a 421 gr 45-70 bullet. I have seen store bought jacket bullets off more that that. I usly don't shoot cast for acccury, just for practice, but with bullets like that I sure would.

Chaneylake

hellacatcher said:
Cannylake that is real good for a 421 gr 45-70 bullet. I have seen store bought jacket bullets off more that that. I usly don't shoot cast for acccury, just for practice, but with bullets like that I sure would.

it took a learning curve of about 1 year, hundreds of rejected boolits, 1 set of $120 mould ruined, plus a ton of phone calls to Mr Paul Jones in California who took me under his wing and taught me how to cast the larger bore boolits

this is in my .40-65 Shiloh Sharps black powder cartridge

Latest posts