DIY Pattern Board

Tennessee Lead

Done some thinking and Googling a couple days ago and found a great idea with pictures for a patterning set up.

I used 1/2" PVC waterline Two-10' joints
Two-90 degree elbows
Four -Tee's
And Four-Caps(optional) for the end of the feet

I cut the side pieces at 4'
Cut the cross pieces at 45"
Cut Two pieces at 3" to connect the frame to the feet.
Finally I cut the remaining pieces in half for the feet
Now you're ready for assembly
I didn't use any glue so I can take apart for transportation.
The 90's go on top and the Tee's connect the bottom of the frame and the feet.
I bought a 35"X160' roll of Contractor paper at Lowe's
I slid the roll on the bottom cross bar.
I've got to get some heavier clamps to use to hold the paper to the top.
Just used clothes pins for purpose of picture.
I laid a dowel rod on the roll to hold tension. I'll work on a better idea for that.
I still need to cut a board to lay in front of the paper roll to catch any stray pellets.
I'll tape a turkey target in the center and fire away.
So far I'm at $25 in material.
39e5e8c55966117ed7edd2e3c0b0f5f9.jpg

90abf5e55cb0576f5e91b85e1604f451.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheLBLman

Very nice & still portable. :2c:

Right where you have your clothes pins,
you could use a regular office/household stapler to "staple" the paper, then stick your clothes pins on top (around the frame/paper) ?

You might want to mount a piece of poster board to your frame, then staple your rolling paper to it. Having that stiff poster backing is very beneficial if there's any wind, and one piece will last for dozens of shots before needing replaced. It's basically just for keeping your paper target from flapping in the wind, but also will show if your patterns are hitting even a little more left/right or up/down, which can be easier to visualize after several shots have hit it.

I'm simply sticking a piece of that stiff poster board in a frame (as a rigid target backing), to which I staple or tape large poster paper (use for either 1 shot or a few shots), and then even to that can drawn circles, or tape/staple on targets for each shot if desired.

fairchaser

Excellent design. I wonder how the pvc will hold up with stray pellets? You could slide the next size up over the side pieces or just replace as needed. I like that it's portable and cheap. Two good things.

Tennessee Lead

I have a feeling the stray pellets will damage the PVC. If it does it's a cheap fix.
Each 10' joint was $3.99
I'm always having to bum places to shoot so cheap and portable was the idea I was looking for.
Can't wait to test it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImThere

Mine is almost exactly like it. Replace the feet with steel pipe nipples. Install a slip to threaded pipe fitting in the lower tee and use metal pipe from there. Should be able to find all the parts at Lowes. I made mine so I can stretch a plastic trash bag over it and the sticky targets stick to them very well

Sent from my
Sit drag, Ernie's outdoors linesman belt,
At 20' up

elknturkey

fairchaser":324uubcr said:
Excellent design. I wonder how the pvc will hold up with stray pellets? You could slide the next size up over the side pieces or just replace as needed. I like that it's portable and cheap. Two good things.
I built one almost exactly like that and didn't have a problem even when a pattern took out half of the right side vertical tube. You can also take like a 6" pipe and cut it a little longer than the paper roll. Take a skill saw and cut it length wise but leave an inch or so on the ends or it will buckle. Feed the paper thru the slot and now the roll is protected.

Latest posts