Digging near shelters.

Carlos

Have you all got any tips on where to dig around shelters? This site has been dug several times before by other folks. Would it pay off to dig at the lowest point below the shelter?

I've got a trip planned this week, and I'm new at artifact hunting.

(My other post was hijacked.)
Thanks in advance!!

XCR-2

Depends on the shelter. Sometimes you can start where they left off. Other times, depending on the shelter you can go down from it about 40ft and dig around. The best ones are the untouched. Ones that you walk in and artifacts are still sitting on the rock shelves. Those are very very hard to come by these days.

Carlos

Depends on the shelter. Sometimes you can start where they left off. Other times, depending on the shelter you can go down from it about 40ft and dig around. The best ones are the untouched. Ones that you walk in and artifacts are still sitting on the rock shelves. Those are very very hard to come by these days.
Thanks for the reply!
The landowner sent me pics, and it looks like the previous hunters focused on the area about 10ft in front, below the shelter.
He showed me quite a few pieces of what they'd found, they dug a bunch of points already, as well as one large bone, possibly a femur.

After that, I expected the area to be closed, and the professionals to move in, once contacted but evidently they weren't all that interested.

KTS

Dig near where they have been digging and try to find any place that hadn't been dug. Dig several test holes to see what the soil look like.
You may also have to dig deeper than they have been digging. If the soil is black and contains charcoal and periwinkles, keep digging.
Good luck!

Latest posts