Did Indians favor Pretty?

DaveB

Looking at the pics of all the arrowheads I showed a few to my Wife. Some of the work is very pretty while other is strictly functional. Wife said the Indians must have looked a long time for such pretty rocks. That got me thinking. I wonder if certain rocks, know from experience to be different or pretty when worked on, were favored? I mean, was there a guy in the corner hut who traded pretty arrowheads? Kids who searched out certain rock types? I always thought functional was the only criteria but was just wondering.....

catman529

they definitely made some pretty stuff, from what I have seen, not just strictly functional. But all of it was functional. I don't really know the history though.

Lost Lake

In some instances, even when local chert and flint was readily available, colorful material was used for Cache or burial goods and was brought in through trade or a long journey afoot. So yes, in some instances they did prefer pretty over the usual.

That was true of many tools and necessities besides rock too. Certain bow woods were preferred in some areas and it grew well outside of home ranges. It might not have been because it was pretty, but superior in quality.

Also, during the Paleo period, bands of hunters traveled very long distances throughout the year and brought with them tool stone that was sourced hundreds of miles away from where an artifact might be found. It's not unusual for Clovis points made of cherts like Coshocton from Ohio, Burlington from the Midwest, and Knife River from the Dakotas to be found in Tennessee.

in the dog house

Also The way a point appears today isn't the same way it looked when it was made. Some materials get a patina on them ( some "age" more than others, or faster ) that wasn't present when made. A lot of times when it was made it was solid black. Over time it changes to the colors that we see today.

Ft. Payne chert for example is black with white inclusions if you get it out of the ground today. Points that are 7000 years old are now brown and bright white. If you find one that is broken you will see that the inside is still black.

Also a lot of cherts where heat treated. This makes the material easier to work but also brings out color. All of these change with age.

But no doubt they favored "pretty" rocks. If they found a color in a certain part of the rock, it could be worked around the pretty part so that it was saved in the point.

in the dog house

Anything that was different, as is today brought a premium.

The is a creek here in TN called Horse creek. It has a chert rock that is only found there. It is red, yellow, and black. Any point found today made from it is very valuable. Horse creek chert has been found all over North America though it is scattered, but shows up here and there. It is very distinct and sought after and only comes from that one place. It is beautiful material and is still prized buy modern nappers.