Dialing in a load for my new gun

gatodoc

Attachments

• FkRasfl7REafxIGvtp6rhA.jpg
    FkRasfl7REafxIGvtp6rhA.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 2,069

gatodoc

I haven't tried any Match factory yet. I just wanted to see what I could do with a hunting set up. I've never been to a match or shot a match gun but I'd like to learn more about it.

My wife says I need a few more hobbies to keep myself out of her way....:)

This was my first attempt at hand loading and going up in .3 gr increments. I was amazed at the way the groups tightened up at 41.6. I shot the 200 yard just as it started to rain and I couldn't see my holes very well until I pulled the target. Didn't have the spotting scope and was just fooling around.

When I saw it I came home and loaded some more at 41.6 and some at 41.8 to see what happens. As I said. I'm a total novice at reloading but trying to learn. I just try different things in my guns to see how they shoot. If I miss in the field I want it to be "me" not the equipment....

DaveB

G-One of the joys of hand loading is building that perfect recipe for a given rifle.

Congratulations on a great start.

Your target says IMR4350, that correct? Amazing how that powder performs.

Primer?

fairchaser

gatodoc":1jpdno70 said:
I haven't tried any Match factory yet. I just wanted to see what I could do with a hunting set up. I've never been to a match or shot a match gun but I'd like to learn more about it.

My wife says I need a few more hobbies to keep myself out of her way....:)

This was my first attempt at hand loading and going up in .3 gr increments. I was amazed at the way the groups tightened up at 41.6. I shot the 200 yard just as it started to rain and I couldn't see my holes very well until I pulled the target. Didn't have the spotting scope and was just fooling around.

When I saw it I came home and loaded some more at 41.6 and some at 41.8 to see what happens. As I said. I'm a total novice at reloading but trying to learn. I just try different things in my guns to see how they shoot. If I miss in the field I want it to be "me" not the equipment....

Now that you've been bitten, be careful because the hand loading rabbit hole goes deep. I suggest at least 5 shot groups and even 20 at longer ranges. Great start.

infoman jr.

gatodoc":wgy7jo0h said:
Primers were Federal 210 large rifle primers. COAL (I believe that's the right term) overall length was 2.8.
You will save yourself some frustration if you will get a set of Hornady gauges for your calipers to measure cartridge base to ogive (CBTO) instead of base to tip (COAL). CBTO is a more accurate and repeatable measurement of effective cartridge length.

Jcalder

gatodoc":9xuh5k5q said:
OK here's where my ignorance comes out. Ogive? Is that from the base to the start of the neck? Or the start of the bullet neck?
ogive is where the bearing surface starts to curve and make the point on bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gatodoc

OK....Read up on ogive. Is this where the rabbit hole starts? How many 1000's off the lans that the bullet should be in the chamber? WOW, I got a lot to learn. Meanwhile, I think I've got a round that can hit deer at the ranges I hunt which was my first desire. Now, back to the books to learn and get confused more....:)

gatodoc

OK....Read up on ogive. Is this where the rabbit hole starts? How many 1000's off the lans that the bullet should be in the chamber? WOW, I got a lot to learn. Meanwhile, I think I've got a round that can hit deer at the ranges I hunt which was my first desire. Now, back to the books to learn and get confused more....:)

infoman jr.

gatodoc":19btn03w said:
It looks like you have a load that is plenty accurate. I wouldn't worry about seating depth at this point. I would use the ogive measurement to make sure you are able to replicate that exact load in the future.

Many times your limiting factor will be the length of cartridge your magazine will hold. I will start my development at that max number and find my best accuracy using varying powder charges. I will then begin increasing my bullet seating depth. I use QuickLoad software to determine when I am going to start compressing the powder. I like to stay at or below 103% case capacity.

It can be useful to know how long the cartridge can be before it touches the lands. Hornady also makes a comparator gauge for this measurement. I use a split case to measure mine. There is plenty to read up on that, too.

DaveB

[/quote]
I would use the ogive measurement to make sure you are able to replicate that exact load in the future.[/quote]

^^^Y E P ^^^^^

Reason is there are lots of same-weight bullets that are of different lengths. Ex: A monolithic bullet will almost always be longer than a same weight cup and core so by using the OAL measurement the jump of the bullet from the case into the lands will be longer. That jump is initiated by the primer ignition. You want that ignition to set the OGIVE in the lands not push the bullet across empty space (this is where neck tension comes into play and why annealing can be so critical).

And yes, it can be a small empty space but oh boy do the details ever matter when striving for the best accuracy you and your rifle can deliver.

And don't forget to maintain a reload log.

fairchaser

Hand loading for a hunting round can be pretty simple as mentioned. MOA accuracies are plenty good for a hunting rifle and if you can get a little under that, you've got bragging rights with your buddies. Being able to get your load to shoot consistently is also key. One 3 shot group could just be coincidence. Your basic reloading tools will suffice and changing powder charges and bullet depths can help tune a load. Once you want to desire to shoot sub MOA and even less and with great consistency, the process gets more involved and the tools get more precise with added tools for measuring things like concentricity, headspace, seating tension, seating depths and chronographs to test your standard deviations. Some will even weight sort bullets, sort cases for volume variances and turn necks. Annealing brass extends the life too. It can be a lot of fun.

gatodoc

I've learned so much being on this board. Thanks to all. I may at some point in the future try to shoot for very good groups but for now I'm just trying to develop good loads for hunting purposes. I guess I'm a deer hunter more that a shooter.

You guys have been great with the information. Thanks for all the help. I'm sure as I venture further down the rabbit hole I'll have many more questions.

For now, can someone tell me how to access a ridge with the wind in my face with the thermals coming from the opposite direction. I'm thinking a single person helicopter with a climbing stand already in place. :0

Latest posts