Deer heart recipe ideas

swd

My favorite part of the deer is the heart. I used to eat them the night of the kill. I usually just sear them after cutting them into slices. With the advent of CWD, I stick them in the freezer to await test results. All of my buddies know how much I enjoy them, so they give me theirs as well. They will all eat them, but are not as keen on it as I am.

As things sit right now, I have 9 hearts in the freezer with test results pending on just 1 more. I want to do a dinner get together with all of my hunting buddies at the end of the season and use some or all of the hearts. I am trying to come up with ideas of how to cook so many.

I was thinking of something like deer heart vindaloo, maybe tacos?

What else do you all have for recipes on something like this?

Thanks!

TAFKAP

With the thoughts of CWD being limited to the large central nervous system & the skeletal system, I'd eat a heart immediately without concern over CWD.

As for your recipes, I'd butterfly a few of them out, and treat them like a flank steak. Season however you'd like, slap on a screaming hot grill, and cook on both sides to a med-rare center. Slice against the grain in thin slices. It'll make great tacos. Do some "white people" fusion and use some Asian flavors. Garlic/5-spice/soy on the meat, and make a vinegar slaw with cilantro and lime.

14deerhunter

Boil the heart for about 10 20 min take out and slice put in pan over a fire fry it with old bay seasoning and have peppered gravy going when all said and done dip the heart in the gravy and enjoy

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

WTM

id probably wait for the test results. mainly because research shows that detectable prion load starts in the excretory systems(saliva glands, kidneys, liver and intestines) before its detected in brain and spinal tissues. you never know how much could be transferred during field dressing.

jakeway

I bring to boil, then slow simmer for about an hour. Slice and put into glass jar. In a measuring cup, combine red wine vinegar, white sugar, and water till sugar dissolves. amounts to use depends on your taste; the mixture should be vinegary yet sweet. Pour into jar until heart slices are covered. Close jar and put in refrigerator at least over night. Use it as a snack or appetizer.

Latest posts