Deer decoy advice needed

fairchaser

I never thought of using them but I think I have the perfect situation. It's a large open area with low vegetation. Does will come out and stand there looking back into cover waiting. After 4-5 minutes, they give up and move on.

In my head, the buck of my dreams is hanging back and not willing to venture out into the open. I figured the doe wasn't in estrus so his interest was just casual. I was thinking of using a doe decoy or even a buck next season.

What kind of decoy(s) would you use if any? Also what brand would be best. Have you used them with success?

fairchaser

I'd probably set up in the cover.
I agree and typically I would but the tree that I hunt from gives me perfect access and with the right wind, I'm undetectable. The surrounding cover is a super dense thicket with no trees to climb. The deer need to cross there or go a long way around. Several bucks do cross and I've killed a couple but I was thinking a decoy might help.

JCDEERMAN

I don't have any suggestions, as I've never used one. We have several deer decoys at our place, and will have several places to try using one after our logging operation this coming season. I plan on trying it out in the early season. I typically don't hunt fields except for that time period

Matador

I have used decoys several times with good results. I have actually had bucks come to doe decoy and circle down wind. I have killed several bucks that decoys have drawn them in or at least stopped them long enough for me to get a good shot. I do use them real close to the rut. I usually use a doe decoy. I have used a buck decoy a few times but they will sometimes spook does off. I think decoys are worth the effort and the best kind to me are the bow target kind. Good luck.

Smoke

1105200833b_HDR.jpg

I had the same idea during bow season. Bedding area across the field and alot of times bucks will just work the edge or inside of the woods. Didn't have any good bucks work the decoy but some smaller ones worked it perfect. Meant to try it out during gun seasons but never did. Does didn't seem to like it too much. They'd stand and stare at it.

Mike Belt

I've used one from time to time. I think mine is a Flambeau (sp?). I used it as a buck and a doe. Either way my typical response from does is to flee. I've switched over to using it strictly as a buck and had some success doing that. Bucks will usually at least stop to give it a look. This sometimes gives you a shot opportunity that you wouldn't have had especially when hunting narrow openings or when the buck is chasing a doe. I haven't had one all out attack my decoy yet but have had several come in with ears laid back and get nose to nose with it. I have had several of my 3D targets attacked in the back yard and have had 2 of those destroyed. When I set mine up I always set it up where the decoy is either facing me or quartering towards me. Approaching bucks tend to come circling in to get face to face. This often gives you a shot when they're between you and the deke and they're so concentrated on it that you can get by with some movement.

Kirk

Many years ago I had a delta deer target with a removable head. The target was too heavy to lug into the woods as a decoy so I just took the head. I fashioned a device to hang the head on a tree about the right height. It didn't attract any deer closer but it did make a few do a double take.

RS

I don't think I'd use one in TN, but I've had pretty good luck in Kansas. Some bucks will run from it, others will destroy it. Here are some screen shoots from a video I took in Kansas a few years ago.
6FEFEEE8-BE0F-49D7-8709-8AF592B50F80.png
359D0385-B198-4596-9AE3-7B873377CFFF.png
A35213C0-971C-4C49-AABF-2E021BC298F0.jpeg
0588F966-016D-4E1E-8C73-CB23F242A578.png

DeerCamp

I never thought of using them but I think I have the perfect situation. It's a large open area with low vegetation. Does will come out and stand there looking back into cover waiting. After 4-5 minutes, they give up and move on.

In my head, the buck of my dreams is hanging back and not willing to venture out into the open. I figured the doe wasn't in estrus so his interest was just casual. I was thinking of using a doe decoy or even a buck next season.

What kind of decoy(s) would you use if any? Also what brand would be best. Have you used them with success?
Is this property you own or at least can make changes to?

If so, might consider throwing up some Egyptian wheat or other screening between the woods and plot.

This might force the buck to come into the open to survey the field, rather than hang back in the woods.

That said, if it's a mature buck I'd definitely use a buck decoy. From what I've seen the archery target ones work just fine from a distance.

Had a buck tears our up last year on the archery range.

Outrigger

I don't know that there is one best brand or type to use. Depends on the time of year, how far you have to lug it in, how hard the deer have been hunted, among other things. They can work, and work good. I will second the benefit that they provide by distracting the deer's attention away from the hunter. Even if you don't harvest a deer over a decoy, they can create a very entertaining hunt. It can be anywhere from amusing to fascinating to watch deer react to decoys.

FTG-05

I prefer to use live bait; specifically one of my cats.

Cats and deer have a "thing" for each other. Every time I catch them together, it's like busting a door down in a cheap motel with two consenting adults inside that aren't married to each other. Weird.

The last time I used one, it was Butter; I shot three deer in 15 minutes. It was a massacre. I only got two deer hearts out of all of them.

BSK

I prefer to use live bait; specifically one of my cats.

Cats and deer have a "thing" for each other. Every time I catch them together, it's like busting a door down in a cheap motel with two consenting adults inside that aren't married to each other. Weird.

The last time I used one, it was Butter; I shot three deer in 15 minutes. It was a massacre. I only got two deer hearts out of all of them.
This post is so interesting, I want to know more!

sdiversbd

Primos Scar. Can setup as a buck or doe. Tail and head move in the wind. Has brought in does. I got an 8 point off of the doe decoy, with doe in heat scent.

Latest posts