Deer decoy advice needed

Mike Belt

I'll add that a small bit of motion does wonders to attract deer where they may not have seen the decoy initially. I used a battery operated tail wager for a while but they tend to make a "clicking" sound so I quit. I went through a couple of them with the same results. Now I just use a sheet of a paper towel that will lightly blow in the wind.

gatodoc

I've set up a buck decoy in fields several times. So far only had young bucks come to check them out.

left an archery buck decoy in a field in AL last year during the rut ( bout now) the next day it was knocked over and laying 30yrds away next to a trail leaving the field. One leg was missing. Never got a picture. But kept looking for a buck with the fake leg stuck on his antlers.

Headhunter

I'd probably set up in the cover.
My advice is NOT to set up in the cover. It is very difficult to place a decoy where deer will see it and also a deer standing dead still, decoy, in cover especially thick cover, is an ALARM to other deer. Deer react in many ways to a decoy, in the wide open, they generally at least come look at it, although they do ignore it at times. Every single time I have placed a decoy in cover, every single deer that did see it, spooked and quickly.

I have killed several does when using a decoy as a doe. Does hate an "unknown" doe showing up. They will check out a doe decoy quickly and they focus on it. Not really, but it seems like you could go jumping jacks and they wouldn't notice you.

I believe a decoy that is a buck is best for bucks. Several bucks have came to a buck decoy for me, just nothing I wanted to kill.

The hardest part is placing the decoy so deer can see it. It is crazy to put a decoy out and think most any deer that comes by can see it, but my biggest issue has been deer I can see from the stand but they never see the decoy. The deer needs to see the decoy for it to attract them and it is hard to get a decoy where they can be easily seen by the deer.

Last edited:

Latest posts