Deep Fryer Questions

BigRed1080

Good Morning TNDeer Members,
I am looking to get a fryer it could be gas or electric. I was given a bass pro gift card for Christmas so preferably something from there to use gift money first. There are so many different things to consider stainless steel, aluminum, or cast iron. Let me know your thoughts. I've been looking through the reviews and it's either great or terrible on the bass pro website. I would mainly be frying fries, fish, and maybe some Turkey nuggets this spring. Thanks for the suggestions.

Safari Hunt

Use the card for hunting or fishing stuff. Go to a restaurant supply house and get a counter top fryer. Use it outside as it will generate a lot of heat. Last I heard, Star was made in Tennessee.
Consider a pressure fryer. Wife has one and loves it along with the air fryer.

Spurhunter

The cheap Bass Pro fish fryers are ok, but regulating heat in an aluminum pot sucks. I You might buy a cheap Bass Pro model and a cast iron pot that fits it just right. It works great and Bass Pro sells Lodge cast iron (made in Tennessee IIRC).

TAFKAP

Yeah, there's not much in the way of cooking supplies I would buy at Bass Pro. If you're deep frying anything, I would only consider cast iron.

In order to make it affordable at BPS, a big rig will be cheaply made. The Cajun fryer thing for $450 looks nifty, but that takes up a lot of space somewhere for something that you're not likely to use frequently enough to justify its own corner of the garage. In my mind, a turkey frying burner set and a variety of cast iron pot sizes would likely be a better use of your money. The turkey fryer burner would get used for other stuff, you could store the pots easier, and use them for all sorts of other things.

But I hate those new turkey fryer systems since the regulators all have a doofy safety timer on them now. Having to babysit those things makes boiling a pot of water a PITA. I would go to a local propane shop and have them put together a better burner for you. There are some pretty sweet rigs out there now, much better than the old cast aluminum ones.

dirtyhands

I have a cheap aluminum turkey fryer. It does have the timer on it which is easily bypassed by taping down the button. I've had it for probably six years and it does anything I need it too without being fancy or expensive. I've done crawfish boils fried turkey catfish and chicken in it without any problems. The only problem I've had is last year while doing a boil I noticed water leaking from the pot. There was a small perfectly round one in the bottom about the size of a number 45 drill bit. My buddy who was running a pot right next to me said he had to replace his for the exact same thing. So I would say if you aren't using it professionally or frying for yourself every other day then I would just get a cheap one.

Latest posts