Declining duck hunting

Bo Diddley

100 boats with 15-25 hp outboards all parking and walking from the river is much less impact on Tigrett than 20 surface drives with the additional boat ramps. When I hunted it in the 90's ducks used all kinds of places in that bottom that they don't now due to pressure.

Add to that the fact that the bottom is filling up, there are significantly less ducks in that bottom than there use to be. Good duck holes 25 years ago are now deer bedding on normal water.
I have hunted there since the late 90's as well. I agree 100%!

TimberMan

Keeps getting worse every year. Weather, liberal limits, people not willing to work ducks properly and instead shoot them at 60-70 yards, heavily pressured public lands, expansion of the refuge system (including private refuges for the purpose of hunting), the practice of using the loudest motor possible, and new types of motorized decoys have all led us to where we are now.
Unpopular opinion here but I would be happy to see a ban on mud motors on public land. Shell limits (1 box) might decrease skybusting, and remove the 3.5in shell while we are at it. Lets be honest, manufacturers might as well make a 5in shell for how far people are willing to take a shot these days. Let the ducks work INTO the decoys, could yall imagine how many more ducks would actually work or quite it would be if there wasn't somebody skybusting a single at 70 yards.

Displaced_Vol

As far as weather goes, the best day I've ever seen was early January- 60+ and thunder booming at daybreak
The question is what was the weather leading up to that in early December? We've had mild December's for years now and once the days start getting longer (December 21) I think they know they've gotta get back north. Maybe not immediately but I think they are more apt to ride out a winter storm after the daylight starts increasing than before it-

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Another factor to consider is the number of clubs and individuals doing habitat management/feeding with unharvested fields all up the flyway. DU for instance has sown up an awful lot of prime habitat for the money it brings. They provide a great experience for a few people, and they keep a lot of ducks on those properties.

Weather (even back in 1995 we saw it) is probably the biggest factor, although not at all the only one. I am in no way a climate alarmist, but global warming is real. It is just plain warmer throughout the year, year in and year out. We still have huge cold snaps, and cool periods in summer, but overall it's warmer. It will change back, but no idea when, maybe next year or 100 years from now, and it's not caused by farting cows or gasoline cars.

BSK

Bug money has ruined it, huge swaths of crops that clubs leave standing in order to hold and attract ducks. I've heard stories of 100+ miles along the river where crops are left for duck food up north.
In my area, I'm blown away by the amount of high-dollar production ag land that is being diked up and crops left standing for ducks. The big duck club adjacent to my place has been there as long as I've owned my land, but now big patches of ag land all up and down the Buffalo River are being diked. I guess duck hunters pay enough that it's more than worth it for the farmers to give up that production acreage.

cmn

........or more refuges for the ducks to sit on without a worry in the world. Just a thought, as I am not a duck expert.
research shows more smaller refuges would help the hunters as the ducks move around the western part of the state. Incredible number of blinds and pressure have definitely changed duck movement.

BSK

I feel like in Obion and Lake counties where I am, duck hunting is still growing but the number of deer hunters have declined.
I'm adjacent to the Duck River Unit of Tennessee National Refuge. Once duck season opens, you've got the deer hunting woods to yourself. Deer hunting has dropped way down in popularity compared to duck hunting in that specific area.

Andy S.

Once duck season opens, you've got the deer hunting woods to yourself. Deer hunting has dropped way down in popularity compared to duck hunting in that specific area.
Same can be said for a lot of west TN. Generally speaking, deer hunting clubs LOVE members who are hardcore duck hunters as they typically vanish middle to end of November.

rtaylor

I wish I knew the answer but this is the first year in 25 years I didn't go duck hunting. The places that I used to go and jump shoot woodies are all neighborhoods now. Maybe that is partially the problem is duck holes are slowly being converted to neighborhoods.

Kevin

I think the people that complain the most are the ones that go to the same hole or holes (2-3 total holes) on private ground every single time they hunt. And if the birds arent there, then the birds don't exist and something needs to be done.

The people that are mobile, and go where the birds actually are still successful will continue to have a great deal of success.

Last edited:

Ed B

In my area, I'm blown away by the amount of high-dollar production ag land that is being diked up and crops left standing for ducks. The big duck club adjacent to my place has been there as long as I've owned my land, but now big patches of ag land all up and down the Buffalo River are being diked. I guess duck hunters pay enough that it's more than worth it for the farmers to give up that production acreage.

Look at groups like Whiteoaks that leave several hundred acres of rice for duck food. Just the cost to plant those fields is several hundred thousand. I don't hate them for it, if I had the money I'd probably do the same.

BSK

Same can be said for a lot of west TN. Generally speaking, deer hunting clubs LOVE members who are hardcore duck hunters as they typically vanish middle to end of November.
At one spot, my place is 500 yards from the duck club. Opening morning of duck season, it sounds like an artillery barrage just before the troops go "over the top." Absolutely deafening. Funny thing is, the deer don't pay any attention to it. Except what deer are left on the duck club property, and they "head for the hills," which is my place! Opening morning of duck season, I purposefully hunt the closest cover to the duck club, trying to catch the deer running away from all the human activity.

Bgoodman30

100 boats with 15-25 hp outboards all parking and walking from the river is much less impact on Tigrett than 20 surface drives with the additional boat ramps. When I hunted it in the 90's ducks used all kinds of places in that bottom that they don't now due to pressure.

Add to that the fact that the bottom is filling up, there are significantly less ducks in that bottom than there use to be. Good duck holes 25 years ago are now deer bedding on normal water.

Pressure is anything that bumps ducks.. Folks don't realize what kind of pressure surface drives put on birds in the bottoms.. We ran behind a boat that was first at ramp this season with a 20 hp four stroke and we were in a mud buddy MM. We were pushing hundreds of ducks out of the woods that they just passed right by...

Bgoodman30

I blame Duck Dynasty for a lot of that.

Silly.. Honestly I put a lot of blame on the culture of TN WMA hunting in West TN.. I have hunted with some of these old Camden bottom guys and they think its a contest to see how many days you hunt, how many you killed and have a hissy if you don't call the shot at anything swinging over the blind within 50 yards... I personally think some of this culture is what ruined SEMO...

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Silly.. Honestly I put a lot of blame on the culture of TN WMA hunting in West TN.. I have hunted with some of these old Camden bottom guys and they think its a contest to see how many days you hunt, how many you killed and have a hissy if you don't call the shot at anything swinging over the blind within 50 yards... I personally think some of this culture is what ruined SEMO...
What I mean is I blame Duck Dynasty for the increased popularity of duck hunting over deer hunting. I do agree with you on hunting way too many days, and shooting at every bird swinging within 50 yards. Heck, I've seen em shoot at birds 75-100 yards from the blind.

tellico4x4

When lived in Vicksburg 30+ yrs ago I joined a duck club on Presidents Island just to deer hunt. Had it all to myself as soon as duck season opened.

tellico4x4

What I mean is I blame Duck Dynasty for the increased popularity of duck hunting
Back in 2010 or 11 I was headed to Vegas to the SHOT SHOW & had a 2 hour layover in Atlanta. Dudes with long hair & beards were waiting for same flight as us, had no idea who they were . Their wives literally had on pj's, hair in curlers & fuzzy house shoes. Guess they were headed to try & drum up sponsors as the show started in 2012 I think

Latest posts