Damaged rib on a shotgun

TheAirMan

I have a shotgun that I haven't had all that long. I have never even shot it. It's used and was same as gave to me. Since I didn't buy the thing I didn't look it over real well like if I was paying for it. So, I can't say that it was already damaged. However, I sure didn't notice it till the other day. If it was done after me getting I have no idea how. The rib is bent, both ways actually. A little bit of what I would call up and down and a lot side to side. You can look down the barrel and can see it curved. It has a shiny place in the finish like something has hit I to the top corner of the rib, with more of the blow coming from the side. The up and down bend isn't really enough to bother me but the bend to the side is. Is there anyway to fix this?

TheAirMan

Mossberg 500 and the cheapest I have seen is like $190. Maybe I am just looking in the wrong spot. To me it would make more since just to buy a new gun instead of paying that, unless they have went up a lot from what I remember.

wkyhunter

You might try ebay, I've seen barrels there go fairly cheap. I But, unless it really bothers you, I'd touch up the blue and just shoot it.

TheAirMan

The bend to the side really bothers me. It kinda creates an optical illusion making you think you are looking down a curved barrel.

TheAirMan

Upon farther review, I am not sure it's bent left/right. I think is mostly up/down. I think it is like one side of the rib is mashed more toward the barrel than the other kinda causing a curve look.

FULLDRAWXX75

It is repairable if not detached from the barrel. Most any good gunsmith should be able to repair it.

OR

Do it yourself, make a few "hardwood" wedges and block piece. Clamp the gun in a vise or solid holding device and take a small hammer and the blocks and go at it carefully, with a little patients and work you can have it straightened in no time.

FDXX75

PS: use a good straight edge as a guide

Latest posts