CVA Optima Trigger Work

CHRIS WILSON

Hey Jake.....If I remember right, it's not adjustable but it can be smoothed out. The trigger on that rifle does have some creep. I shot enough with that rifle that it became almost like a trigger set for me. Put a little pressure on the trigger, I felt the creep. I knew at that point, just a touch more pressure and it would drop the hammer. Get the creep smooth out, it should be a very nice trigger. The poundage on that one isn't bad at all. I'm not sure about a gun smith around Hendersonville. I've always had gun work done by Jeff down at Specialty Arms in LaVergne.
What kind of load did you work up for it?

jakeway

Hi Chris. I didn't have much time to get out with it (maybe three times) but I shot a couple dozen shots each time. The creep is very predictable, as you say, and with practice you can squeeze it to that point, take a breath, and then do the "final sequence".

(For those of you reading this who haven't figured it out, I bought this gun from Chris. We're talking about this specific rifle; my son's Optima has no creep in the trigger at all.)

I shot a few 1 inch groups with 110 grains of 777 ffg and 240 grain Hornady XTP. The 777 pellets didn't shoot so well. I decided to go with the Hornady 300 gr XTP and 110 gr 777. I tried lighter loads of powder but didn't get as good of groups. The 300 XTP shots about 1.5 to 2" at 100 yards, and I think it will be a better terminal ballistic load.

I hope to have a success story to post next week; I have a few days vacation coming, so I should have at least 4 days in the field next week.

Remind me, what are you using this fall?

CHRIS WILSON

I purchased a Knight Rolling Block back during the Summer. Currently, I've got it shooting 250 gr. Barnes expanders on top of 110 gr. of fffg triple seven. It's printing some really nice groups. After the season, I'm going to be playing around with some larger conicals and some 375 gr. saboted buffalo bullets. I'm sure that little Barnes bullet will get the job done, but I'm kind of partial to BIG bullets. Some of the best terminal results I've obtain while hunting with an mz have been with 400+ grain, full bore conicals. Good luck to you in the up coming season. That optima should do you proud.

Latest posts