CVA Optima Rust Problems

JoeVaquero

I have a stainless Optima (not V2) that I keep getting rusty spots on. I have only shot 777 through it since I've had it. I always clean it after I shoot it.
The problem is when I stick it in the closet for a few months and don't mess with it, when I get it out it has rust spots all over it. No problems with other guns in the vicinity just the Optima.
Anyone else have this issue? It seems their stainless is less corrosion resistant than a regular old blued barrel would be.....

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

RackHntr

Mine does the same thing. I dont know how to get the spots off. A guy told me they was just nickel coated. Not stainless. I dont know the difference in that either.

FrontierGander

2010 and newer models are SS. The older optimas and optima pros were nickel. Rig + p stainless steel protection is a great product. You guys seem to be dealing with a lot of humidity in your area?

JoeVaquero

This was bought in 2012 if I remember correctly. It is a raw looking metal, not coated or polished. I wonder sometimes if maybe they mixed some carbon steel barrel blanks up with the stainless. The barrel is magnetic, but their website says they use 416 ss, which is magnetic...I guess I'm going to try the Rigs as suggested and see if that helps.....

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

darn2ten

My buddy had a stainless T/C pro hunter that had bad issues with rust. I have a CVA optima v2 and haven't had any issues yet, hope I don't.

pb10point

I have a new CVA OPTIMA V2 ,hunted in the rain opening day and already have rust on the outside of the barrel.That is why I bought a stainless barrel not to have this problem.

PillsburyDoughboy

Never had that issue blue cva wolf . Sounds more like a maintenance issue to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts