Custom Calls

Yotehntr

As I've stated in a few other threads I make custom calls for predator hunting... I just finished one I'm particularly pleased with and thought I'd show it to ya'll here. Here's a little of the process they go through.

This is the tip of a Hippo tooth... when it started out it was about a foot long. Hollow about 1/2 way up, so this is the solid tip. I've cut it to length here... the right side is what I'm going to use.
Ivory-001.jpg

Here I've turned it round and cut a bead into it.
Ivory-007.jpg

Drilled it out for my tonebord.
Ivory-008.jpg

After turning on the lathe... I cut slight indentions in and penned the lines in with ink.
Ivory-019.jpg

Here's something I wasn't expecting...as thin as I cut my calls the Ivory has a translucence that is out of this world.
Ivory-020.jpg

I made the toneboard from Warthog tusk ivory... there the call is complete. The toneboard is o-ring fitted (keeps it from falling out when it gets cold) I put a CA finish on both pieces, buffed and polished it to a very high gloss. It is signed and dated inside the barrel under the finish. (This call is already sold)
12-8-10Ivory-003.jpg

12-8-10Ivory-008.jpg

12-8-10Ivory-006.jpg
IvoryR.gif

Plateau Hunter

Wow Brad that is a beautiful call!! If I owned it I would probably just keep it in the safe and get it out to look at on special occasions. It is a true work of art. PH

Yotehntr

Thank you for all the compliments guys! This stuff is surprisingly heavy for something you can see light shine through� just guessing 1 � times heavier than my usual calls from wood and burls. When turning it showed me how tough it was too, I had to take very light cuts� probably took twice the time� that probably had some to do with nerves to though! Lol

bobthebowhunter said:
Great work! I will be speaking to you soon! Which of your calls would you recomend for field use here in TN?

I use all that I make here myself� open and enclosed reeds.. nice to have a variety. The open reeds are more versatile and can make several different sounds though. I�m personally not good at bird distress with them but I know several folks that can do them. Cottontail, fawn, pup barks/howls, and ki-yi�s easily. With the enclosed reeds you are very limited� but they are a good weapon in your arsenal. ;)

tndrbstr said:
Thats purdy man, :cool: ...
Are hippo teeth readily available?...seems like that would be about as rare as hens teeth!! :D

They have gotten pretty hard to find� when you do find �em they only want your 1st child. LOL� they are quite expensive sure enough.. I have to use quite large one�s for the diameter� Click here � that being said� if you find a hens tooth large enough I�ll make a call from it! :)

rem270 said:
very nice. can you posts your different calls and prices? i might be interested in one.

My calls range from $45- $250 (the price of this one) before this my top end was $150. Even my �field grade� calls have hand cut toneboards from natural materials� (antler, or horn)� nothing I make is molded from plastic, and they are of my own design. I�ll post some pics of my field grade calls at the bottom here.. a little warning though� I�m afraid I�m a bit behind on orders and it may take several weeks to get one made�I�m going to try to get caught up some this weekend though.

Hey PH! You�d be surprised how tough the ivory is� nothing to be worried about as far as tearing it up� the price is the only scary thing about it! Lol

Walnut and antler
11-30-10-001.jpg

Walnut and macasar ebony
11-30-10-003.jpg

This is what I call one of my "Top Shelf" series... it's a burl wood...this one amboyna with an elk antler bead and an antler toneboard... these go for $65
9-29-10-008.jpg

Yotehntr

Ok... you have me at a disadvantage... not sure who you are, I'm guessing one of the 3 folks I've hunted with there though! ( I know who "the one" is) so that'll narrow it to 2...I'll have some time off around Christmas... give me a shout! ;)

Latest posts